Weekend Freedom Machines banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2010 Open Forum ARCHIVE

262K views 4K replies 644 participants last post by  Bweaver7734 
#1 ·
This thread contains all posts from the old site under 2010 Open Forum archive. This topic is now closed.

#2,277 ·
Just brought home a 317 with a new style 48" deck and a John Deere replacement engine and wheel weights. I couldn't pass up this deal! The only issue is the tag is missing. Any ideas on how I can identify this tractor's year? I know they made these from 79-83 but I would like to know the year if I could. I barely got home and got it in the garage before it started storming like mad. Sorry for the bad pic. Adam

#2,280 ·
I bought the coil at the JD dealer from the 140 parts specs. Should be correct. Is there a way to test it? For all, I'll be on travel through the end of the week, then back to get it running. When we get it running, I'll forward a picture. Completely restored -- looks like it came off the show room floor.

#2,283 ·
Don Lewis,

Welcome to the WFM forums!

I don't have an answer to your 420 question, but if you repost your question under the hydrostatic tractor section of the Restoration and Repair forum, you should get quite a few responses, and more than likely the exact answer you are looking for.

Mark V.

#2,286 ·
Bill, I thought that bug deflector was hilarious myself, needless to say it's coming off.

Eric, the engine was replaced by a Dealer so the current engine is a series 2, I have no idea what the original engine was. I was hoping someone knew of another variation between the 317's. Still excited about the deal though. Adam

#2,287 ·
Adam,

Look in the parts catalog for serial number specific variations for your 317. PC 1698 lists axle and ring & pinion versions breaking at SN155047 in sections 50-4 and 50-8 respectively. Similarly in sections 50-5 and 80-2 there are changes in the sight tube and fender pan mount that occurred at SN155,000...and in section 80-6 the strap that holds on the medallion, M81685, was added at SN190,000 and above.

Hope this gives you an idea of a place to start, good luck in narrowing down the SN range of your particular tractor.

Here is the year to SN table from the Model Info page on this site to give a mapping of these breaks to the year model, essentially pre- 1981 for tractors below 155,001 and post 1982 for tractors above 190,000 so the above should provide some bracketing of the possibilities for your tractor.
Year Serial Number
1979 95,001 - 120,000
1980 120,001 - 155,000
1981 155,001 - 190,000
1982 190,001 - 222,000
1983 222,001 - 285,000

Chuck

#2,288 ·
I would love to see a forum on current tractor values where guys could post their recent tractor deals. (either buying or selling) I think it would be really interesting to see the regional price differences and would be very valuable for researching prices and travel considerations when considering a new purchase. I don't know about some other areas but the St.Louis MO area prices have really come down and deals are everywhere. I absolutely cannot bring home any more tractors, I have no more room and to many projects to finish! What do you guys think about the forum? Adam

#2,291 ·
John Deere 68 Riding Mower:

I am having a very difficult time finding any information on this mower. I need the 8HP Briggs & Stratton Engine rebuilt. It has the recoil Start. It is burning oil and oil is pouring out where it mounts when hot. Runs great for the few minutes the oil is in it. Just picked it up at an auction. Thank you if you can help.

Located Model Number off of the Engine Shroud, located behind the seat.

Model: 191702
Type: 5632-01
Code: 78101311

Can you tell me anything about this mower?

Thank you, Sheila

#2,293 ·
Sheila - howdy!

Regarding the carburetor work. Try a search for carburetor rebuild on this site. There are lots of good articles on here by guys that can probably rebuild one with their eyes closed. I'm not one of them.

The general rule for your first time doing one is that you get a digital camera and take pictures as you take each piece off the tractor and as you take the carburetor apart.

The primary goal is to take the carb apart, clean the insides with spray carb cleaner, and put the carb back together. Putting the carb back together is where the pictures from taking it apart come in handy.

Regarding the 8 HP Briggs. The general approach is to replace those. Do a search for articles again.

#2,296 ·
Hey guys. This is my first post here. Great forum. I just picked up my first Deere, a 1984 316. I recently downsized from a Kubota B-series tractor to the 316, which I am in the process of refurbishing. I am the 3rd owner of the tractor, but was told that the Onan B43E had been rebuilt at a Deere dealership a couple of years ago. The person I bought it from through Craigslist didn’t have any documentation nor the original owner's info.

Can Dealer service be confirmed by the serial numbers on a 1984 or is that too old? I asked one local dealer, who said there wasn't a central database, but that conflicts with what I've read elsewhere.

#2,299 ·
Cory,

Welcome to WFM. There is and isn't a central database. That is, not everything will show on the repair history on the John Deere system. Deere should have any repairs made under warranty and a dealer should be able to look that up if you provide the serial number for the tractor.

The individual dealer might have repair history after it was out of warranty. You would need to know where it was serviced though. Then that dealer may or may not provide you with repair history. My dealership keeps 7 years of records, on paper. But it would not provide them to just anyone that asks. Some people would rather not disclose that kind of information, ie, prior owners.

Steve

#2,300 ·
Steve, Thanks for the info. At the risk of sounding silly, are there any obvious signs that a dealer rebuild would have occurred in the recent past without completely tearing the motor apart? The engine starts right up and doesn't smoke at all. I haven't run it enough to know if it's using oil, but the previous owner said it didn't. I guess I'd have more peace-of-mind if I knew a rebuild had been done since there's no hour meter on this 316.

#2,301 ·
Thank you, Stephen! I am still trying to find the thread about carb rebuilds. I was thinking I would like to try this project but I did find a local person (spouse of a man who is deceased now) whom sent alot of his work to another person and she gave me the name SO, hunting for that carb rebuilder!

ALSO: Can anyone help me to know just what to look for to replace this 8hp Briggs & Stratton Engine w/ recoil start. I can't find any 'stat' info on this tractor. I found some numbers, but have no idea what they are telling me.

On the engine 'shroud' ? behind the seat:

This is a 1968(?) John Deere 68 Rear motor rider.

8HP Briggs & Stratton, recoil start

The numbers on the plate are: (as near as I can tell)

Model: 191702
Type: 5632-01
Code: 78101311

For example: Is it as easy as just searching for Briggs & Stratton Vertical 8HP Engine? I know there are shaft diameters. So, other than needing the diamter of the shaft, is that all that I need to locate a new Engine for my Rider?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.