Weekend Freedom Machines banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2010 Open Forum ARCHIVE

262K views 4K replies 644 participants last post by  Bweaver7734 
#1 ·
This thread contains all posts from the old site under 2010 Open Forum archive. This topic is now closed.

#2,327 ·
Anyone,

A very old lawn mower repairman told me he saw a steel hood on a 1963 or 1964 JD 110 round fender or perhaps on a round fender 112.

As far as I have read on this site, there were some fiberglass 110 round fenders in 1963 but there is no mention of a steel hood on any JD garden tractor.

Has anyone heard of this steel hood? Perhaps it was a customized item? Perhaps it was an after market item? Perhaps a different manufacturer hood fit the JD? Perhaps he was mistaken?

I feel like I am about to chase a wild goose if I go looking for a steel hood.

Dennis S.

#2,329 ·
Jason, nice lineup. Thats quite the load in the background.

Dennis,

Never ever heard of or saw a RF with steel hood.
I have seen an prototype (probably a 62) owned by Brandon of Hapco and his is a fiberglass like all the rest.

Probably a retrofit from another brand or a home made deal. The fiberglass hoods were one of deere's weaknesses when it came to durability, although they had more style than the other brands steel hoods.

#2,330 ·
Adam, I think we all have that problem!! I have 11 of them, I just finished my 1970 patio (white and Blue) took it for its first ride today. she is a strong runner, and a real looker. Next on to a 1965 110. Motor is already rebuild and so is the rear end. Mainly sand blast and paint for her.

#2,331 ·
My 300 (16 HP Kohler) runs great until it gets hot (about 20 minutes). Then it seems to starve for fuel and dies. If I pull the choke out quickly enough, I can keep it running (VERY ROUGHLY) for a few more seconds. Then it will just crank and crank but not start. However, if I just let it sit for 2-3 hours, it'll start right up, but then repeats the problem about 20 minutes later. How do I best isolate and identify the exact culprit? I can't afford to "shotgun" spend money repairing/replacing parts that aren't broken. I'm handy, but not an engine tech. Thanks for suggesting a troubleshooting "drill" that I can follow. I will really appreciate any help/advice you can offer.

#2,332 ·
Hello, Gentlemen, and Ladies,

My name is Maurice Trosclair, two days ago someone I work with asked me if I wanted his old lawn tractor, My scotts mower recently having passed I said sure why not. It is a John Deere 322 from the late 80s, he said it developed a hydraulic leak and after the fluid drained out the engine refused to start. I have absolutely no idea what I am getting into but this site seems to have plenty of info. He sent me a cell phone picture of it and it looks like it is in decent condition. The price is right and I need a new machine. I need to know first off is can it be pushed, anything to dis-engage? Also are parts for this mower available? Any know issues with this mower that will need to be addressed? Thank you in advance, Maurice

#2,333 ·
Maurice,
Welcome to the forum. I can tell you from experience that buying a John Deere LGT will only lead to Heartache and Green sickness. Since I am only about 300 miles west of you, I will take that 322 and treat it right and also save you the trouble of having to deal with it.
Seriously, I think you have come to the right place for info and these guys can answer any question you might have. Do not push or pull the machine with anything unless you disengage the transmission. I believe it has a lever just above and ahead of the right rear wheel. Move that lever down into the slot. You will need to get on your knees and look toward the frame to see it. Yes parts are available. That model has a great reputation but I have very little knowledge of them personally, having never owned one.
Others will answer more questions tomorrow

#2,334 ·
Maurice,

The 322 is a great tractor -- I have two of them myself. Several WFM members have them and together we can address most questions you may have about this model.

Here is a link on how to move the tractor by releasing the hydrostatic transmission relief valves using the lever that is on the right side of the tractor just above and forward of the rear wheel. The 316, 318, 322 and 332 tractors are all the same in this regard, the illustration is lifted from the 318 manual.

[URL="http://www.wfmachines.com/discus/messages/335/60879.jpg[/IMG]http://www.wfmachines.com/discus/messages/335/60879.jpg[/URL]

It is important to do this prior to pushing the tractor, and never push or tow the tractor at any speed much faster than a slow walk.

The 322 has several safety interlocks that could keep it from starting or even cranking the engine over, so start a thread in the Repairs section and we can discuss at length once you get the tractor home. And trust us, you WANT this tractor -- it is many times the quality and durability of anything made today, and so much better than any Scotts "mower" ever made.

Chuck

#2,338 ·
Joel, this is the classic example of a bad coil. For a good test, run the engine until it dies and then pull the spark plug wire off. Immediately stick a screwdriver in the boot and lay it across the top of the engine. If you have no spark when you crank the engine, you know the problem is the coil. Replace the coil with an internal resistor coil from the auto parts store.

If you have spark (possible but not likely) then you may have a plugged fuel tank cap vent. Take the cap loose or off and if the engine starts, you have a cheap fix.

Good luck!

#2,342 ·
John Alexander Logan was born in 1826 and died on December 26th 1886. Most people probably don’t recognize his name. Early in life he served in the Mexican-American War. He then entered politics as a “Douglas Democrat” serving in the state house. In 1858 he was elected to the US House of Representatives. He resigned his congressional seat to serve in the Union Army during the Civil War. After the war he resumed his political career as a Republican and served in both the House and Senate.

As Commander-in-Chief of the Grand Army of the Republic, Logan sent out General Order 11 mandating the creation of Memorial Day (originally referred to as Decoration Day) as 30 May 1868.

From his order: “What can aid more to assure this result than cherishing tenderly the memory of our heroic dead, who made their breasts a barricade between our country and its foes? Their soldier lives were the reveille of freedom to a race in chains, and their deaths the tattoo of rebellious tyranny in arms. We should guard their graves with sacred vigilance. All that the consecrated wealth and taste of the nation can add to their adornment and security is but a fitting going of reverent visitors and fond mourners. Let no wanton foot tread rudely on such hallowed grounds.

The first memorial day was observed by formerly enslaved blacks at Charleston, South Carolina. At the end of the Civil War they dug up the mass graves of the Union Soldiers and gave them individual burial. On May 1st 1865 up to 10,000 people gathered to create the first Decoration Day.

It wasn’t until 100 years later in 1967 that Congress declared Memorial Day a national holiday. The next year it was moved from the traditional 30 May date to the Last Monday in May.

This Memorial Day at 3PM I would urge you to stop for a moment and honor the fallen soldiers who have fought to bring freedom to this country and to honor those who risk their lives every day serving God and country. Our freedom comes from their sacrifice.

#2,343 ·
Thanks Mike! From a veteran of three wars...we need to do more to educate the public on these mens sacrifices. It's very easy to get wrapped up in the daily grind of our lives and forget there are men and women hanging it all out there at this very moment, some tragically will not return.

It's up to guys like you and I to honor their memories and keep the american public aware of these brave folks.

#2,344 ·
I got her home, in better shape than I thought. I cleaned the carb out, and fire it up and it runs, even cut some grass. Major issue that I notice is the steering cylinder is hemorrhaging fluid from where the silver piece enters it. Everything else works great deck goes up and down tractor goes forward and back. So can you rebuild these? I also will post in the tech section, not sure if this belongs here or there...

#2,346 ·
Mike, Great info, thanks for sharing.
I went to Washington Dc yesterday and rode in the "Rolling Thunder" for the first time. This was amazing, the local news guessed around 800,000 motorcycles showed up. As we went across the Memorial Bridge their were soldiers saluting. All along the ride the streets were lined with people and Vets waiving and giving us cheers. The temperatures were in the 90's and I got goosebumps several times being a part of this. This is something I will never forget and I plan to be back next year to honor all Vets for their service. Thank You All!

#2,350 ·
Joseph U. – I couldn’t agree more.
Our children and grandchildren need to understand what Memorial Day really means. It’s not about the big Memorial Day sale at the local whatever! We must honor those who gave everything so we can enjoy the many freedom’s we have in this country. Sure, we all gripe and complain about our political differences, but it’s because of the sacrifices of those that preceded us and those serving and dying today that enables us to have that discourse. Today the word hero seems to be highly overused. This morning, I took my family to Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery and introduced them to thousands of true hero’s. After the ceremony, my daughters placed flowers on the graves of 3 of my buddies that are buried there. Seeing the thousands of gravestones lined up from any direction is a truly sobering and humbling experience for anyone. Neither of my daughters had ever been to a national cemetery before and got choked up at times, especially when Tap’s was played. I believe they both now have a better understanding of what Memorial Day stands for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.