Weekend Freedom Machines banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2010 Open Forum ARCHIVE

262K views 4K replies 644 participants last post by  Bweaver7734 
#1 ·
This thread contains all posts from the old site under 2010 Open Forum archive. This topic is now closed.

#2,678 ·
I noticed that the cubs tend to be much cheaper than Deere of the same time period.
I do not know the condition of this particular tractor except that the owner said it runs. Its about an hour away so I haven't driven out to see it yet, and I'm sorta apathetic about anything other than a JD.

#2,682 ·
<font face="arial,helvetica">

I have a 140 H1 for which I purchased a 48" replacement deck. It does a better job than the original but I wish the blade tip speed was a bit faster. I have improved the operation some by installing high lift blades but I'm still lacking some suction.

I know some Deere decks have optional drive pulleys but I dont see one listed for the 48 replacement. Is there one available? I would be very interested in speeding it up a bit.

I have not used a tachometer on the blade spindle but just by listening I can tell it is running much slower than my grandmothers X320 or my dad's F735. They both do a better job of mowing than my 140 and I attribute that to blade speed.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Anybody else tried these replacement decks? I saw some messages here were folks were wanting them but didnt want to spend the cash. I was lucky that my dealer had a complete new deck ordered years ago for a customer who never paid. All I had to do was buy the draft arms and the drive belt. [/COLOR]} They sold it to me for cost which was around $740.00 three years ago. I feel lucky at that price considering the cost }}I've seen posted for prices now.

Thanks for the help!}}

#2,685 ·
Am I the only one that missed the big news this spring? I don't recall this milestone being discussed.

John Deere Builds Five Millionth Lawn & Garden Tractor
Posted on: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 09:37:00 EDT

HORICON, Wis., April 19, 2010 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ --
John Deere recently rolled the five millionth lawn tractor off its assembly line at the Horicon, Wis., manufacturing facility. A model from the Select Series(TM) X700 Ultimate(TM) Tractor line-up was manufactured as the five millionth lawn tractor in time for spring and the peak outdoor power equipment selling season.

"Reaching 5 million lawn tractors is a significant milestone for us. Over the last 47 years, the John Deere Horicon Works has built a reputation for manufacturing durable and reliable products for millions of homeowners," said Dan Hoffman, factory manager, John Deere Horicon Works. "Our co-workers have dedicated themselves and worked hard to consistently provide products that meet and exceed customer expectations, and we're extremely proud of our accomplishments."

In 1963, production of the first lawn and garden tractor began at the Horicon facility during which year John Deere built 1,000 units of the 110 Lawn Tractor. An original 110 Lawn Tractor now resides at Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of American History in Washington, D.C.

In May 1984, John Deere Horicon Works reached the 1 million mark, when a Model 318 lawn and garden tractor rolled off the assembly line. The 2 million mark was surpassed in 1992 with the production of the LX188. In 1998 the factory reached the 3 million mark with the production of an LT133 lawn tractor and in March 2003 John Deere Horicon Works exceeded 4 million tractors built.

John Deere (Deere & Company -- NYSE: DE | PowerRating) is a world leader in providing advanced products and services for agriculture, forestry, construction, lawn and turf care, landscaping and irrigation. John Deere also provides financial services worldwide and manufactures and markets engines used in heavy equipment. Since it was founded in 1837, the company has extended its heritage
of integrity, quality, commitment and innovation around the globe.

#2,688 ·
Mike Gray, welcome to WFM. Don't think it's odd at all that you enjoy working on your JD. In fact we understand completely. As for a price on the 140, it can vary a lot. You said it's in good working order. If its good cosmetically, especially the hood and seat,that adds quite a bit. Being a H3 is a plus. I would say between $500 & $1500, but I've seen exceptions on both ends of the scale. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It also depends if there is any attachments. The bottom line I guess is how bad do you want it.

#2,691 ·
Hi all,
I dont know if anyone has had a problem with their starter improvment kits but i installed one bout a month ago and has worked great until a few nights ago. After using the tractor without a problem and putting in the barn i woke up to find it outside against a fence with the key off and a dead battery. I tested the batt and had to get a new one, upon installing the new batt as soon as i went to connect the cables the starter engaged with the key off. After scratchin my head i tapped the relay while the engine was turning over and it stopped only to have a sizzle coming from relay. A friend of mine who owns a wheel horse dealer said that it can be caused by too small a relay. just figured i let everyone with the kit installed know.........wonder if this has started any fires.

#2,692 ·
Paul,

The starter improvement kit provides a reduction in the number of switch contacts the current for the solenoid winding terminal "S" must pass through over the 'stock wiring' shown below:

Note that the power for the solenoid coil was routed through 6 switch contacts if the rear PTO is fitted (5 without) and goes through the key switch twice!

When the starter improvement kit is installed, it routes the power directly from the battery (via the large terminal "B" on the solenoid to terminal "S" via the new relay contacts, controlled by the original safety circuits and the key switch as shown in this diagram:

I have in the past taken the red wire on the kit to the fused side of the 20 amp fuse instead of the starter stud terminal -- this still uses the top set of contacts in the key switch and ensures that a failed relay cannot keep the starter running when the key is turned to off. The "improvement" is limited to just the other 5 switch contacts being eliminated for the solenoid current supply, but the added margin of safety is a good trade-off.

Of course, if the solenoid itself should fail shorted...the results would be the same as you described in your post. For the 318 to have left the barn in that manner your tractor must have substantial 'creep' in the hydro when in the neutral slot AND you would have either not set the parking brake, or the brakes are seriously out of adjustment.

Chuck

#2,693 ·
Chuck,
Thanks I'll try that with the next kit. The tractor was actually slightly in gear and the parking brake was not set, i must have shut it down and left in a hurry. You can bet the brake will be set from now on. I'm lucky it didn't take out the fence and keep goin!

#2,698 ·
Bika ,the odd number on all cc are hydro .they are a good little tractor .some things are hard to work on .the pto bearing ,is one thing ,the drive shaft ,can give you trouble if the rag joint is bad ,thats the ujoint ,i paid as little as $25.00 and as much as $375.00 for two .i,ve restored three of them now ,and got $950.00 for the last two .binder book sales manuals for them ,and you will need it .hope this helps .David

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.