Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was mowing with the 210 earlier today and The engine would randomly bog down and almost stall, no matter the grass thickness, gear selection , or grade. It drops to a low idle speed, almost dies then picks right back up. I never actually stalled. What could be the issue?

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Sounds like a governor issue...if it were the carb or electrical it would bog and die after reaching
/exceeding "hot" operating temp, until cooling down...then it would restart and repeat if put back to work.
Don't know much about the Kohler governors though...there is a process in the 200-series SM for checking/resetting the throttle-to-governor linkage.

·
Registered
809 Posts
What type gas are you running? Pump gas can separate if any moisture is present. The alcohol or water will be in bottom of bowl of carb. Engine doesn’t like it. Might be a good check.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I was mowing with the 210 earlier today and The engine would randomly bog down and almost stall, no matter the grass thickness, gear selection , or grade. It drops to a low idle speed, almost dies then picks right back up. I never actually stalled. What could be the issue?

Does it stall only when the PTO is engaged? If so:

• remove drive belt
•check spindle bearings
•check pto hub bearing

other things to check
•fuel delivery system.
•crankcase breather
•check brakes
•if you have a Chinese carb look at the throttle lever. Ive seen them come loose and the lever separates from the the throttle shaft Causing sum-ting-Wong 😝

Hec

Reactions: N2 Tractors

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The deck has 15-30 hours on new spindle bearings, I don't believe the mower deck is the issue.
Edit: I should clarify when it bogs down it stays bogged for 1 to 2 seconds then picks right back up to full throttle .

·
Registered
778 Posts
Sounds fuel related to me. Check gas cap venting too.

Reactions: Mike_U

·
Registered
590 Posts
I agree with Hec. Focus on simple things that may have changed since you last ran the machine. In my experience, governors on those engines don’t typically go out of adjustment on their own.
If the operation bounces back to normal after momentary delays, I would not suspect a governor. You just rebuilt that engine last year correct? I’m assuming the internal governor vane checked out OK and you reassembled and set governor to spec at that time.

In addition to Hec’s advice, check for loose wires at the coil and loose plug wire, although fuel sounds like the culprit. Have you drained the fuel bowl and looked for water?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Could be condensation in the tank or float bowl, it had sat for a month it went above and below freezing a few while it sat also.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I'll add one more possibility to the mix, you might also try slightly backing out the main fuel mixture jet to see if that helps. If the engine is borderline starved for fuel when the governor starts to hunt it can lead to a bog down. I do agree with the other posts that based on the symptoms described it sounds like a fuel issue.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It was surging some without load…

·
Registered
50 Posts
Not saying this is it, but 100% on checking simple things first. Last year I had a leaf in gas tank. Every once in a while it floated over stopping fuel flow.

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I haven't touched the 210 sine this problem occurred, didn't have time.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts