Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys im running an L110 with the kohler 17.5 command engine. It will start and run fine for about a minute, then sputter once or twice and then die. It will restart after about two minutes and repeat the same as above. Any ideas? Thanks, Steve

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
First thing to try, loosen gas cap. If it will keep running, the vent in the cap is plugged.
No change-immediately after it stops, pull the spark plug, reattach wire, ground the plug and crank the engine to see if you still have spark. Might need a helper in the seat and clutch in.
No spark could mean the solid state coil is dying, but I haven't had one do that, yet. Wouldn't hurt to try a new plug.
If spark is OK, then you will need to check the fuel filter, fuel line, any screen that might be in the tank, and fuel pump output if it has one. After that, need to check for crud in the carburetor.
Probably a few other things, but this will get you started. Has it been running this spring and this just occurred, or first started after winter storage?

tommyhawk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey just to update the gas cap had a minute blockage that you couldnt see. Thanks tommy for your input. I have 4 john deeres and a case and out of all my tractors throughout my life I can honestly say this was a first. I read about it all the time but never actually had it happen. Anyways thanks again

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
It can happen, but like your experiences, it's not been the easy fix I'm usually hoping for. Find it more often in pushers, self propelled items.
It just so happens I looked carefully at the cap on the STX46 (Kohler CV14) the other day while fueling up to mow. It had a gob of mud or something beginning to close the vent hole. It has been doing fine, but getting it cleared then, may have saved me a head scratching session later on.
Haven't seen any "mud dobbers" yet, but that's what it looked like. Glad you got it solved!

tommyhawk

·
Registered
122 Posts
My tractor had been sitting for a couple years inside garage but without an air cleaner on it. Had no compression so I sprayed WD40 inside the cylinder and let sit several days. I turned over by hand and felt much better. I repeat the process and felt much better. I took the float bowl off to inspect and there was a small wad of something so I cleaned it out and there was also some dirt in one of the passages that looked like dirt probably from a mud bee. The passage sits at about 2 o'clock and the air cleaner base plate gasket covers it but this passage is open inside the carb. I had the tractor running but had to reset the new points cause it was not running right. After I reset the point it started up and ran for several minutes much better. Went in for dinner and when I came out I tried to start and couldn't get it to run. I cleaned the new plug off and pulled the air cleaner to have a look see and there was some gas inside the air cleaner cover. I have a carb rebuild kit I plan on installing next. My concern is the passage at 2 O'clock that was packed with dirt. I cleaned it out with a small drill bit and when I would give a light push it feels spongy. I didn't want to push too hard not knowing if this is how it should be or should it be hard metal at the back of the passage. I didn't want to probe to hard or is something still in this passage. I have a picture of a new carb and the passage I am referring to is at 2 O'clock and looks kind of like a bath tub with one end open.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Today I did a rebuild using the kit I got from JD parts. That passage was so blocked up with larva/ dirt from either a bee or some insect. I carefully cleaned it up and cleaned all passage with carb cleaner. I wasn't going to use the new float but changed my mind. The original didn't have the tab that limits drop. It took me a few time to get the float tabs set but I wanted it right. Wow what a difference in how she runs. I made a few adjustments after following the owners manual on initial carb setup and man is she purring like a cat. This thing is running so good I am glad that I did the rebuild using the float and all gaskets plus a new carb to engine base gasket.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.