Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this is my first post in the forum after a long time learning... I finally signed up today and hope I can provide some goodness y'all have shared with me.

Today, I can't figure out why my 210 (K241 with a manual PTO) is bogging down when engaging the PTO (mower deck). I just replaced the carb with a new one, installed brand new fuel line, drained the tank and filled it with non-oxy fuel.
I've lubed every pulley I can see, I've replaced the head gasket (leveled the head before installing a new gasket).....

More than a year ago, it ran great... no problems at all! Then I decided to try some Seafoam in the fuel tank, and that's what led to me overhauling as much of this as I have so far (with help). Now I'm wondering if I should replace the PTO clutch, if that can even be done.... and if it's a good bet economically. Much of the body and such have been restored, and I'd really like to use it and keep it forever.

Any help you can offer; suggestions, ideas, etc - I'd surely appreciate. I know with your help we can get her running like a Deere!

~ Smoqman

·
Registered
730 Posts
smoqman, Welcome aboard! First determine if the excessive load is coming from the deck or the PTO itself. 1. Remove belt between PTO and deck AKA Deck Primary Belt. 2. Engage PTO with Primary Belt removed. If the engine bogs down then something is wrong at the PTO assembly. Remove PTO Clutch and grease needle bearings and inspect all bearings. Reassemble and make sure the PTO Brake is set properly with the proper clearance. Make sure PTO clutch is adjusted properly per the book.If the Engine doesn't bog down when the PTO is engaged with the Deck primary belt removed, then you probably have bad bearings on the deck. Confirm Deck primary belt routing too. Make sure the belt is not rubbing on something its not supposed to. Make sure Deck Idler pulley pivots freely and check idler under the PTO where the belt tightening spring is attached.What kind of deck do you have? Are you eating up Deck Primary Belts?Keep us posted.Hec

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
@hec_in_omaha - Thank you!

Well, I removed the deck and deck belt - then cranked her up and ran it in the woods with the pto arm
engaged....ran fine! (There's a little "grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrblumgrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrblumblumrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" going on, not sure why that is..:)

I noticed that when the engine is off, that PTO pulley (with the arm still attached) does not move freely… With the arm removed, it turns "OK". I'm thinking that the bearings need greasing, and just an overall cleaning (see the picture)
I'm attaching an image of the deck serial number, thingy… ��

I also noticed that my variator pulleys ("pulley"?) squeaks to high heaven. Now, getting that thing off is probably going to be a chore since I have no way of lifting the tractor up .

IMG_4567.JPG IMG_4568.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
730 Posts
Smoqman,

Here ya go!

1. Remove Deck Primary Belt. Looks like you already have.
2. Remove the clutch arm. Looks like you already have.
3. Remove PTO Brake Pad. You will need a 1/2" socket and a long extension to reach the head of the bolt. The bolt head faces the ground.
4. Pull the PTO Clutch Cup with the bearings inside right off. You might need to give it a good smack with a rubber mallet to break it loose, especially if its got a lot of rust. It should just slide off. The only thing that would prevent it from sliding off is the brake pad and the clutch arm. There are no set screws, keepers, etc..
5. Inspect everything for wear.

With the engine off and the PTO disengaged without the Deck Primary Belt, you should be able to spin the PTO with some resistance due to PTO brake pad. The PTO brake pad should not make contact when the PTO is engaged. It only makes contact when you disengage the PTO to bring it to a stop. I suspect the PTO is out of adjustment as well. As for the noises your hearing , could be the needle bearings or the bearing for the PTO pivot.

View attachment 210 PTO.pdf

PTO.jpg

Hec

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@hec_in_omaha - by the time we're done, I'll need to send you a good cigar!
I'll get to work on this right away, in the meantime… Is there a good kind of grease that I can find perhaps locally for some of these parts? I don't have a small engine specialty store around me anywhere.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Smoqman

Go to Napa and get the highest temperature grease they sell. Otherwise it will liquefy and ooze out and get on the friction material and cook on it. Then your PTO will not disengage because the cooked grease will have fused everything together. Only put a light coat on the needle bearings!

Hec

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
The variator drops out of the bottom. No need to lift the tractor. There is a water pump style bearing (same as the mower deck double pulley) inside the variator clutch assy. There is a tensioner/ idler pulley as well. Or perhaps just the belts squeaking?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, in addition to everything else I manage to drop the mower deck on my right foot and break a middle toe! Haha!
Anyway, I decided to take the entire deck apart as the main spindle (pulley) that the deck belt (attached to the pto) is not turning very easily with the belt off, and barely turning with it on.

IMG_4599.JPG

You can see in the photos that the bottom clearance of the pulley to the deck is nil, and it's rubbing.

IMG_4598.JPG

So, I'm taking it apart but cannot figure out how to get that main pulley off. The underside reveals a small welded plate with a round.... something er other, and what looked like a pin(?) going through it.

Anyone know how to remove that main pulley so I can adjust the clearance off the deck and replace the bearings?

IMG_4600.JPG IMG_4601.JPG IMG_4602.JPG IMG_4603.JPG - dunno why this pic is upside down?

·
Registered
730 Posts
smoqman,

I believe you are going to have to press it off using a hydraulic press once your remove the spring pin. That's #9 on the sketch. Don't try a wheel/gear puller on the sheave as you will surely bend it up. Looks like you found your problem!

View attachment 47 deck.jpg

Hec

·
Registered
73 Posts
Soak that collar and pin with WD-40 or your favorite penetrating oil for a couple of days and use a punch the size of the pin to drive it completely out. The pin is holding the bearing shaft for the pulley. After you get the pin out, try to drive the shaft in so the pulley assembly comes off. If the shaft doesn't budge, try soaking it some more with the penetrating oil. Give it 24 hrs. If it's still stuck, a little heat on the collar may be enough to break it free. Yours doesn't look like it will give you much of a fight, and should come apart fairly easy. From personal experience, when you try to remove the bearing shaft from the pulley, try to avoid crushing the flanges on the pulley. They're expensive. If that happens, drop me a line and I'll send you one of my t-shirts,Lol.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey gents, thanks again! My toe seems to be healing OK :)

hey, Is the spring pin located on the bottom side of the deck? And is that the pin I referenced earlier?

I don't see a pin anywhere around the topside pulley. I also don't have anything but standard hand tools for this job (no hydraulic anything) so I will be employing Ed's extraction method noted above once I figure out where the pin is :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yes. The pin you referenced earlier is what JD calls a spring pin. You'll need to find someone with a press to remove the old and install the new bearing. Just don't put any force on the flanges of the pulley. That bearing is the hardest part of rebuilding a deck. Once that is done, check the idlers and spindles for smooth rotation. Replace anything that feels rough or makes noise.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Another thing you should look at is the pivot for belt tension pulley. They get dirt and rust in them after a few years and it won't move freely. Apply some never-seize to the bolt and bushing and it should be good to go for years.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Yep, that pivit arm it is bent, and does not move freely at all. I really have to use a little bit of forced to get her to move back-and-forth. So I'm going to go ahead and tap out that pin with something that won't damage in the thing, and then find someone to press out that bearing and replace it with a new one.

I'm on it !

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My old body gets tired of flipping this deck back-and-forth turning it over and over again. I bet a good number of you use a hoist system. That's going to be a whole heck of a lot easier. ( maybe that's my Father's Day gift) :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Once the pin is out, a brass punch and a hammer should push the shaft out of the collar and free of the deck. As a suggestion, take the pulley assembly with you to your JD dealer to get the new bearing, and maybe the shop will do the press work for you for a nominal price.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts