Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put my 48" deck on my 445 for the season. When I start the PTO, the belt comes off. The pullys have no excessive play, I checked the belt pattern (correct) and the belt looks ok. Please help! Grass is growing

·
Registered
35 Posts
the other day I was mowing and the tractor started running alil rough then it just died. I started checking things it had gas and its getting gas aswell, then went to spark no spark the way it was running was like the coil was going bad. so today I replaced the coil still no spark anyone got any suggestions where to start

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
First thing I check with no spark, is to see if you have 12 volts at the + side of the coil. This can be done with a test light or volt meter.

If you have power at the + side of the coil, you can check if the - side has alternating on/off power as the points open and close.

If you don't have power at the + side of the coil, it's probably the ignition switch, the connector at the back of the switch, or one of the safety switches (pto and seat), if your tractor has them.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Coty,

The Wire that goes to the points should be connected to the NEGATIVE side of the coil. It should not have voltage (12V+) to it!

Hec

·
Registered
778 Posts
Roger,

Yup, that's why I specified that it should not have 12v+ Just in case he had the keyed on 12V+ wired to the negative side of the coil. I realize that the there is continuity with ground when the points are closed and no continuity with ground when they are open.

Hec

·
Registered
945 Posts
Try cleaning the contact surfaces of the points with a piece of brown paper, grocery bag, dampened with contact cleaner.
The wire going to the points from the negative coil terminal should read 12.5 volts when the points are open and zero volts, or a very low voltage, when the points are closed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.