Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had just finished mowing my yard and my 425 started to sputter and then died. Tried to start it and would not fire. I pushed it back to the shed and poured a little gas in the carb. Sure enough she started until that gas was gone. I figured I would mess with it later then. The next day she fired right up and kept running. I was wondering if the fuel pump may be going out.
Anybody have any better ideas.

Ron

·
Registered
138 Posts
Could be, but I would check the fuel filter first and then I would also make sure the vent on the fuel cap is working correctly as well. I used to have a craftsman where the cap was messed up and if I tightened the cap to tight, it would choke it self out after a while. Anyways when you trouble shoot, I would look at the cheap and easy stuff first.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Ron, if it quits again, listen for the fuel pump, is it still running? The electric pump on mine makes a distinct whine when the key is turned on. That's always my first "quick check".

If the pump runs, I pull the fuel line, turn on the key and check the flow into a clean container. If the filter is plugged, flow will be minimal. If the fuel tank is full and the vent system is plugged or not working, the flow may be strong at first and then, slow down to a trickle after the pump runs for a short time, indicating a vacuum in the tank. Release or loosen the cap, if you hear a gush of air entering, the vent system isn't working.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ron, if you check that the fuel pump is running, but have no fuel at the carb, another thing to check is there is a short piece of hose in the fuel tank on the fuel pump. This hose is only about 2 inches long, over time they have a tendency to split causing the fuel to just pump into the tank. sometimes the tractors would still run until the fuel level got low.

·
Registered
792 Posts
this is an old thread so maybe I'm wasting my time, but I'll give it a shot anyway.

I had an experience with a fuel filter that had junk in it. The engine wouldn't run, but if it sat for awhile the junk would settle off of the paper element and then it would run like nothing happened until the junk got back into suspension and pushed back onto the element again.

·
Registered
306 Posts
The 212 I bought recently came with 43" blade and 38" deck. I took the deck off the first day to clean and paint, but, been using blade. Haven't bought manuals yet (broke from restoring tractor
. Can I put deck back to use if I just delink and remove the blade? I mean without taking out blade linkage completely... It has electric PTO but manual lift. Appreciate your help

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
ID,
Just disconnect the lift strap at the front of the tractor. Leave the rest on the tractor and you are fine.

·
Registered
306 Posts
My 38" deck on 212 when raised (manual up/down) has the front lower than rear end by about 1-1.5&#34#34;. When lowered both ends are level. Is this normal or do I need to adjust the front? Did not notice this when I removed for painting.

Any suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
778 Posts
ID,

I have both the 39" 3-blade deck and a 38" 2- blade deck for my 210 and have them set so that the front is 1/2" lower than the rear. This is per the JD recommendations that came with the leveling tool. Do yourself a favor and pick up one of these the next time your at the dealer. I got mine at the dealer for $7. I currently have my cutting height set to 2-1/2". My decks cut really nice at this setting.
Make sure you take your measurements with the blades positioned so they are perpendicular to the axles with the deck lowered for setting front to rear heights. Then rotate the blades so they are parallel with the axles for leveling the deck in relationship to right and left.
John Deere Mower Deck Leveling Gauge #AM130907

Makes leveling the deck easy.

Good luck.

Hec

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I like mine, but you want to read it backwards. Don't do that. I look @ it and think, "ok,,,I gotta lower the other end to lift this end" and I get it backwards. Takes me a solid hour to do it.

Should have printed it backwards thata way you'd read it correctly.

Just me.
Keep that in mind.

·
Registered
778 Posts
ID,

No problem. I forgot to mention to park your tractor on level ground, preferably a driveway, when you take your measurements.

Hec

·
Registered
684 Posts
if you cut your grass a the same height most of the time.
I cut 2 pieces of wood to the width - I cut my grass about 3"
I put one on each side of the deck blades and level side to side.
then I move one block to the front and adjust the front so the it is about a 1/4" lower than the block.

deck is leveled and ready to mow

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Yea...I write down what I have the tires set at. If there is any sorta leak,,,,,, over time you will want to check the psi anyhow.

If you can't recall what you set the front at and the rear at, there isn't any way to gauge the pressure drop over months of use.

Not so important with the other tractors that tug wagons and tiller, but the deck is different.

That is, unless you are like a majority of home owners, who simply desire to "cut the lawn" and one side of the deck is 1.5 inches lower than the other.

That seems to be the NORM from what I see.

Stopped over at a friends who had just cut lawn back a few summers ago, and one side of the deck wasn't even supported by the tractor. Just bouncing along on the turf.

People simply don't have a clue. Happy to hear you take pride in the operation of said tractor and the appearance of the lawn. Sorry for the rant. That bugs me to no end.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.