Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am original owner of 1979 John Deere 212. I have managed to keep it running through these 40 years with many trial and error fixes and now and then a visit to a service department.
Very recently the PTO fused band on the cup section came loose at about 1/8" thickness. I tried to epoxy it back on. This seemed to work perfectly for 1 cutting. The next cutting it self destructed when engaging the manual PTO.

Bought a used PTO from a 212 on e-bay. The cup and cone obviously has sat for many years, but the friction material was fused to the cone as it should have been. It was about 1/8" thick. Degreased it...derusted it... roughened up the friction material band somewhat.

I now cannot get the machine to engage the PTO after numerous adjustments, using the instructions in the original manual. Is it possible that there is simply not enough "bite thickness" to the friction material at about 1/8" thickness to make this machine work without me being able to find a thicker used part cone.
TOTALLY FRUSTRATED.?

·
Registered
446 Posts
You should have enough material on there yet. It sounds like it needs to be adjusted tighter.
Are you also turning the bolt towards the front with the pins in it?
With the PTO engaged, the plate is to be even across the pulley. The other side should have 3/32 play.

I replaced one a few months ago on my 77 212. Took a few times of mowing and adjusting till they wore in together.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should have enough material on there yet. It sounds like it needs to be adjusted tighter.
Are you also turning the bolt towards the front with the pins in it?
With the PTO engaged, the plate is to be even across the pulley. The other side should have 3/32 play.

I replaced one a few months ago on my 77 212. Took a few times of mowing and adjusting till they wore in together.
The plate is parallel on the unit. I have adjusted the area with the pins inward according to the spec. I believe it was 2-1/4" from bolt to plate inside. The 3/32" on the other side seems somewhat difficult to achieve. I perhaps have never had it exactly correct, but then again never had any difficulties before. Thanks for reply. I will check it out once again tonight.

·
Registered
446 Posts
When I did mine, I measured from the outer edges of the pulley to bar. Mine was 5/32 in on both sides. Then set the 3/32 on the rod, mine engaged a lot easier when I was done.

Did you replace both pieces, or just the crank pulley?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually replace the crank pulley. At first I used the part I bought from e-bay for the mower pulley. Could not get that to engage. Then I replace that e bay part with the original part from my machine. Again, could not get it to work. The best I have been able to do so far with the new crank pulley is to get the PTO to engage with no mower belt attached. When mower is engaged with PTO lever no movement at all. ??? I'll look at the pulley to bar measurement.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Have you tried to push the PTO sheave in using your hands, to make sure it goes in and grabs the clutch. It should bite enough to turn the engine a little.
That is done with the bar off.

The small piece of metal on the bottom that supposed to be the brake isnt blocking the PTO sheave.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did measure now for the 5/32. I would need to move in some for that figure. I am unclear how to move the left side of the bar in further. I guess I need to again remove battery and tray to get a look at to PTO mount and the bolt that
that drives the left side adjustment nut/spring.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am missing the boat with the left side adjustment. I think right now it is cranked in as far as possible. I need to find out how the backer spring on the inside of bar is held back to get the 3/32 clearance. Maybe at some point in 40 years I lost a nut or a washer on that side/spring setup.

·
Registered
446 Posts
That 5/32 isnt a spec number, it's just where mine ended up at. Yours will probably be different.
The left side should have a spring, a length of steel used as a spacer, the bar, the other spring and the adjusting nut. I dont remember a washer on mine.
The steel spacer goes thru the bar, not just on the outside of it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok thanks again... i wll do some actual readjusting this evening. regards.. d maty... marion, ny

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok thanks again... i wll do some actual readjusting this evening. regards.. d maty... marion, ny
Skwirl.. I wanted to thank you for your help. The 212 is running again and mowing to my satisfaction. I believe my problem was that I had the steel spacer not going through the bar (about 4 times!). I know I'm getting old, but totally backed myself into a corner with that adjustment. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
You may already have one, but if not search for the 200-series service manual on this forum. A wealth of info to help you keep your repairs/maintenance to spec...with photos, too.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Happy to help.
Ask me how I know about that spacer not staying where it should, lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts