Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my 1979 212 for about 20 years now. When I got it, it had sheared a pair of the bolts that held the transaxle to the frame. I was able to back them out with a reverse drill bit and replaced with grade 8s, washers and lockwashers. Fastforward to today (6/29/2020). Wife was mowing and said the deck kept hitting the rear wheel and it was hard to shift into reverse.. I took it for a spin and it WAS all wonky. I carefully pulled into the garage and remove the seat pan etc. Yep, the right side rear axle bolts sheared off again. THIS time I was unsuccessful in drilling as I used black phosphate grade 8s and my MIG wont stick. Anywho, it managed to crack the case on the upper third bolt. :( I ordered 2 axle tubes off fleabay for cheap before discovering the cracked mount..

My question is: I can get a new xcase half or whole for cheap. How difficult are these to tear down and move to another half case? I have rebuilt engines, and most major mechanical but never messed with ANY gears.. Is this an evening job or an I looking at a week of dinking around with gears and bearings?

JBWeld the t-case if I were to grind and clean?? The bolt mount isnt *completely* busted off but its broken in a "C" around the bolt boss.

I need my 212 to mow the back 40 and blow snow this upcoming winter.
HELP!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Many people part these tractors out. What I would probably do is find someone selling a good used tranny. Even tho I have seen people use jbweld I wouldnt consider it a permenant solution.
~Reno

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
The transaxle is easy to work on if you don't have any trouble removing the axle flanges. In the past most guys left the left tire on and stood the transaxle up. Remove each shaft, keep track of the thrust washers on each shaft and you should be able to get the trans gears cleaned up and the 2 halves back together in an evening.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found a local tractor salvage yard. He wants $250 + tax for the transaxle.. I went ahead and ordered the parts to repair mine. I found a youtube video that had a re-assembly. Looks straightforward. I ordered a new case, axle tube, seal kit and detent kit while I am in there. Of course we are moving in 2 weeks.. ugh. Never any time.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Sounds like I am late to reply but I have 2 transaxles that I got in a Deere collection I purchased. Would let them go cheap but you have to pick them up at my location ... will not ship. Cheap because I have no guarantee on condition.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like I am late to reply but I have 2 transaxles that I got in a Deere collection I purchased. Would let them go cheap but you have to pick them up at my location ... will not ship. Cheap because I have no guarantee on condition.
Thanks for the offer! I already ordered a replacement case and enough parts to rebuild my existing one. Just gotta wait for parts.. It's too humid today to be outside anyways.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts