Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

My transaxle sheave/secondary idler assembly got detached, fell down and the tractor went over it. It's shaft is bent now (see pic) and I wonder whether I can heat it up with Benzomatic torch & straighten it. Thanks for your suggestions.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Quick answer, "Yes" ! Remove bolt and what appears to be a bushing around the bolt. You're going to get the flat bar REAL hot to bend and you could destroy the bushing. If it's an oilite type, you'll boil/burn the oil out of the bushing. Clamp ends where bolt goes in a solid vice. Heat with torch until bright red. That should be a low carbon steel bar and heating will not change the strength of it. A pipe wrench will work well placed just next to the area you're heating, then pull, and maybe a prayer! Lay a straight edge on one side and then the other to see if it's straight. If angled, belt alignment will be off. Best of luck, Bob

·
Registered
498 Posts
Bob told you correctly if you have torch set. You will not get enough heat from a small propane style torch. It will take an acetylene torch to create enough heat to straighten bar back. If you have access to a hydraulic press, that would work with out heating it. It looks like you’re bolt is bent as well after taking another look at picture.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Bob & Jason. I will check with my car mechanic who has acetylene as well as hydraulic press - if he can't do it, I will attempt it myself.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Thanks Bob & Jason. I will check with my car mechanic who has acetylene as well as hydraulic press - if he can't do it, I will attempt it myself.
If you can use the hydraulic press or get your car mechanic to use the hydraulic press to straighten that bar, there would be no need to remove that bushing or heat the bar. Much less work overall.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry folks, I found a used part to replace the bent one... thanks for all the tips.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts