Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 212 Deere and the variable clutch doesn't work well. I have finally taken it out of the tractor and the center section is sticky and the sleeve is rough. Is there a way to fix this or should I take it to a dealer?

·
Banned
1 Posts
dan on the one i have some times when its not working right I spray a little black grafite on the center pice. and seam to help for a coupel of weeks. iam shure that the new pices are very pricey. hope this helps. Bob

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I have a 212 Deere and the variable clutch doesn't work well. I have finally taken it out of the tractor and the center section is sticky and the sleeve is rough. Is there a way to fix this or should I take it to a dealer?
If you have the unit out of the tractor, there's no reason to take the variator to a dealer for repair. They will try
to sell you a new variator, or even a new tractor. BTDT. A new variator was in the $400 price range last time I checked.
I have had pretty good success taking a variator to a machine shop. The machine shop turns the hub smooth and then
bores a new bushing for the sliding sheave which has the correct tolerance according to the Service Manual.
Getting the unit apart takes a large pin spanner and a vise. My machine shop made the pin spanner for me.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Dmed99, I found 2 on e-bay (search john deere variator) for $184 and $400. Both done by the same company. The 184 one was good enough to only need a partial rebuild. The 400 one was rebuilt for the most part completely. I bought one from this dealer last year. He is also a member here. I haven't had any problems with it .

Jim

·
Registered
186 Posts
Dmed99, there at 2 on ebay (search - john deere variator). One for 184 and the other for 400. I bought a rebuilt one from this dealer last year for my 1980 210. Works just fine. The dealer is also a member here.

Jim

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
You guys realize that thread is 10 years old and both guys are banned.
I guess better late than never.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.