Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas on where to start looking for a charging problem on a 212. Changed out the battery and when freshly charged everything works fine. When the battery starts to die down everything shuts down.

·
Banned
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, but I'm not quite sure what I should be looking for on the site. Parts breakdown? or should I hit the help section. I tried plugging in 212 in the find box but nothing came up that was obvious. Is there a certain part you are trying to direct me to? Is there a generator on these? voltage regulator?

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Jared, you would do better to search here for charging system problems. The first thing to do is to get the multimeter out and find out where you have current, and how much. There are threads on here to walk you through the process. Unless you figure out what's broken you can waste lots of money changing out good parts.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Jared. What you have to check is the stator on the charging end of it. To do this you will need an volt / ohm meter. You unplug the stator at the voltage regulator. It probably is a 3 prong plug. You would plug your meter into the two that run to the stator.
Set the meter on ACV. Start engine ,high speed, and read what it is putting out. The meter should read 28 to 30 ACvolts. If it is the stator is good. If it isnt reading that the stator will have to be replaced.
If good then your problem is the voltage regulator.
You should be getting a reading of around 14. 5 volts with it running at high speed, across the battery terminals and the meter set on DCV, 20 volt scale or so.
Other problems are bad connections at the key switch. Broken wires from reg to key switch. Check all the wiring over good first.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Any ideas on where to start looking for a charging problem on a 212. Changed out the battery and when freshly charged everything works fine. When the battery starts to die down everything shuts down.
I see this is a really old posting but it might be the first one the next guy sees first so here is what I found.
My problem was at the ignition switch. I pulled the wires off, swiped with a brass brush, sprayed with contact cleaner and that fixed it.

If not, and you did the stator check mentioned by other poster, it could be the circuit breaker underneath the battery area.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts