Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't think I'ver ever seen anything here about compact utility tractors like the 655,755,855. These are some of the best utility tractors Deere has ever made. They fit a wide range of applications and tasks. Compact enough to run into the barn & muck out the stalls, versatile enough to mow the larger lawn, drill post holes, plow snow, run buckets, backhoe, tillers, box scrapers, log splitters, and just about anything else. I've been running my 855 trouble free now for twenty five years. In all that time all I had was a hydraulic adjustment, a repair to the fuel pick up tube inside the fuel tank and a alternator belt. All minor repairs done by me. I can't recall anything major ever going wrong. Would be nice the hear from others who might own one of the compact utility tractors. My 855 is a 1988 model.

·
Banned
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Terry- I will check it out. But still it's a little odd that these machines don't come up on WFM. It might be that they are in a class that is larger than the average homestead tractor? What I mean is that the compact UT's are for property sizes ranging from three to twenty acres. A little larger than the typical suburban lot. But I'm just guessing on this.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Gerald,

I researched these models before I bought my JD2240. I work a little over three acres. You are correct in their record for service and longevity. I felt the need for a larger tractor, because my farm experience has always been with Deere's of the larger size.

I have a 540 QD loader w/5 foot bucket and a JD 603 72" deck. These stay attached most of the time. I drop the bucket when mowing on the hillside, just for safety. It's truly a great older machine, I wouldn't trade the horsepower for anything. It will do whatever I ask of it.

I have a forklift attachment, goes on in place of the QD bucket. What a great tool...! I used it to put a pallet of roofing material on the roof recently, saved my ol' back, for sure.

I have an older 5' deck, a 2-14 plow and a 5' disc to help when needed. The equipment sure makes the workload a lot more enjoyable.

Enjoy the 855, it sounds like fun!!

Fred

·
Banned
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Roger- Technically your correct. They are not garden tractors. But in my opinion there one heck of a weekend freedom machine. I've even used my 855 utility tractor to help me replace the shingles on my roof! I've had to use it to tie off and hold safety lines. Helped my neighbor put in 350 Post holes all in one day for his horse fencing. Roger, your right. There not garden tractors. But in my world it's a cut above. Just me talking. I don't want to start a war here. Just thought it would be good to see a few words on them now & then.

·
Banned
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Roger- I did indeed do something as you suggested. It was one hell of an undertaking for me. No one supported my efforts. I just recently shut it down. Don't care to go into the details over it. And my efforts also got some bad press from certain other websites.

·
Registered
506 Posts
my 212 will start but not run for very long then it will quite then is a pain in rear to get to start again help please would like

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Cody ,start with easy stuff ,first remove the gas cap and see if that works ,then go to the condenser and points ,make sure you are getting fuel ,remove the fuel line to the carb,and see if the fuel pump is working ,,after you remove the plug wire .remove and replace plug .hope this helps .David

·
Registered
506 Posts
yes it does

·
Registered
180 Posts
"yes it does". What does this mean? It does run? It does pump fuel? It does have spark? You need to be very descriptive. We all like to help people get there machines running and help if we can but it depends on you being able to paint a complete picture of what is happening. Not trying to flame or be mean, just trying to help you fix your machine.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Cody,

Could it be a miss-adjusted seat safety switch? I would ensure all the safety switches are working since you commented how it seems like the ignition was suddenly lost.

Hec

·
Registered
506 Posts
saftey switches are not problem and i removed fuel cap im rebuilding it tomorrow

·
Registered
778 Posts
Cody,

You may also want to make sure you have a good ground from the negative side of the battery to the engine and or frame. Where is our negative cable grounded to?

Hec

·
Registered
506 Posts
hec
thanks didnt think of that one

·
Registered
506 Posts
i cleaned carb and it fired right up

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.