Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this topic has been beat to death, but I'm bringing this up to date, here in 2022.

Having fits with my Kohler 14HPs fuel pump. We all know what's available, (or think we do). Done the plastic crap ones, (and "literally" am done with them), and tried 2 electrics, (one worked, one flooded. The one that worked was my buddies, and I gave it back). Looked for pressure regulators, ( for the electric pump I bought) but they all seem too large to fit. The JD dealer wants my 1st born, and 1/2 the price of my tractor, for "their" replacement pump. I've been searching locally, and "internet-ally" for some type of "compromise", which appears doesn't exist.

I'm praying this site has a store, that sells a pump, or regulator, that I can purchase.."realistically, and reliably". Any help or advice is gratefully appreciated. Thanks.

· Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies, guys. The elect. pump from Ebay, has one name on it. "MostPlus", (who-ever that is.), It's black, and is cylindrical, kinda shaped like the common in-line fuel filters. It pumps fine, but is it actually "off-setting" the inlet valve in the carb.? Some say they can do it. I don't know. I can hold the float and seat the inlet valve manually, and blow as hard as I can into the inlet supply hose, and hold it shut, (gently), W/O leaks.

And Mike, I don't have the original. Have owned this 1987 214 for les than 10 years, and it had already been replaced with a plastic one. The JD dealer supplied metal one, they want $214 for it. As much as I like the tractor, I'ld probably sell it broken, B4 I'ld spend that much, on a pump. Just outta spite.
Drew, you mentioned $150? That's getting closer to a price I would pay. Maybe $75-100.

Didn't know about the pulse type Mike. Is it worth researching? Thanks again for your advice.

· Registered
2,276 Posts
One of the comments on the video Said you can use your old mechanical pump instead making the cover plate and adding the threaded pipe. Cut a hole in the diaphragm, plug off the inlet side and then you get vacuum to operate the new pulse pump.
View attachment 285442
Now that a thinking outside the box!! Love it!! Also going back to electric, the facet cube electric pump is 80$ and the best made.

· Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

· Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When I was experimenting with the 2 electrics I tried, I just used a couple leads with alligator clips, and went directly to the battery posts. If the new one coming works, guess I'll have-ta find a hot lead to tie into.

· Registered
646 Posts
I had long ago installed a ballast resistor in line with the B+ coming from the ignition to the coil so I snatched off of that, wired in a small fuse in line and ran it to the pump. Comes on with the ignition. Also, those facet pumps don't have much "suck" so I suggest you put it at the back, under the tank so gravity gets the raw fuel and it then pumps it to carb. I made a pump block off plate so I got rid of the mechanical pump and that gave me more room up front where the line comes up. Had to drill a couple of holes in the frame at the rear. Mike.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts