Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on a 1996(?) 345 that has developed a fuel leak. It looks like it is coming out of what looks like a weep hole on the bottom of the fuel pump. Is this a sign that the pump is going out? Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
16 Posts
I tried to get on another thread that had variator issues but it wouldn't let my post go through. Here's what I have:

At the risk of hijacking a posting.
I installed fresh JD drive belts on my 214, both of them for the drive. Now my variator does nothing. I have fast but no slow. When I move it, it feels like nothing is happening. I looked in and under and can see the lever move but nothing underneath is moving. I tried adjusting according to the book but no change.
It seems I unhitched something when I did the work. Any ideas what I may have unhooked or what to do to try to get it to move? Thinking of trying to pry around underneath to see what may move. I am able to move it underneath by hand and feel good spring tension. Do I need to readjust the spring after new belts, or would this even have anything to do with it?
Yeah, I spent a hour changing belts and the rest of the day trying to figure out what I did wrong.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Don, did it work OK before installing new belts?

It this a later model 214 that the left clutch pedal can also apply the brake? If so, is the parking brake engaged? The parking brake might only work with the right pedal, I'm not sure, but worth asking.

I suppose you should verify the belt part numbers too. M44121 and M82258 is what I came up with.

Is the spring (#6) and link (#8 if used) hooked up properly to tension the secondary belt? Later S/N models apparently do not have the link but use a longer spring. Is the idler (#13) on the top of the belt?

tommyhawk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Tom,
Those are the parts numbers I have as well for the belts so I'm sure they are good. I'll check everything else in the morning, not certain about the pedal actions. You do have me wondering if I may have knocked something loose and I sincerely appreciate the image you posted, it gives me a good way to look it over. I am planning to take the belts off the variator so I can look things over better and perhaps see if the things you listed are in good order. I do believe (if I remember right) the link is not on mine but a longer spring. I'll verify that in the morning.
Thank you for the reply and information!

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Don, I'll try to get the same sketch up for the later model. Had this one handy for our '77 212. There are some differences starting at s/n 80001 and up. I learned here on WFM and JDParts about several differences in the 200 series tractors, but don't know them all. One of the things that didn't change was the belt part numbers.

tommyhawk

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Some other parts of the 80001 and up look different besides the spring. We may need to ask someone with a newer tractor where the front of the spring hooks. I don't have many photos of the 200 series.

tommyhawk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Tom,
I'm waiting for the garage to warm before I go out, a bit chilly here. I've got a feeling it's going to be a belt routing error on the installers part. Not sure if I put the belt on properly on the idler, have a feeling it may go on the other side of the idler than I put it. I did take pictures prior to doing any work but guess what, my batteries died for the camera and I have to go buy more. I'll keep you posted and thanks!

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Hope it is something easy like that, Don. I hear ya on the cold. I just don't like it!

I see you have other gear drive tractors. Though parts look different, the belt routing is the same basic design.

tommyhawk

·
Registered
180 Posts
Don, I was thinking about a situation I ran into when I changed belts on my 214. As I was removing the old belt from my machine the idler pulley spring fell completely off of my tractor. I looked and thought I had hooked the front part of the spring in the correct spot but didn't. This caused problems similar to what your talking about but also allowed the belt to jump off the transaxle pulley because of not enough pressure on the spring. Was able to look at my 212 and saw where it was attached. After I moved my spring placement the problem was resolved. Don't know if this helps but just an idea.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well on to plan B. Yeah Tom, my mind doesn't work at times. I checked the belts against my 216 and everything is good. The springs are all good and in place. Just doesn't have any movement from the variator lever and any connection further. I think I'll have to take the battery pan out so I can see down through and find if there's a piece off somewhere. My 216 works great but that's my gardening machine, got the tiller hooked to it. This one worked great except the slipping which is why I changed the belts. Variator worked fine until the wannabe mechanic got after it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks Doug.
I checked the springs and all is good. Maybe Deere is right to charge 150 and hour to work on these....NOT. Last time I took my sisters 185 to them it came back with the same problem and a 250 dollar bill. They wanted me to bring it back, I said no because I wasn't going to give them another 250 bucks to do nothing again. I did what they should have, checked the compression and the cylinder was on it's last leg.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
There has been so much discussion about the center part of the sheave being stuck, worn out, etc. in the past years that I didn't mention it. Figured you had already checked and lightly lubed it while the belts were off. If it is stuck, won't slide back and forth and spin freely, that could cause these symptoms. So, does it work OK?
Also the engine must be running to make everything move. Please don't put any of those valuable appendages up in there while it's running.
Sorry I didn't mention that right away.

tommyhawk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yeah I've greased everything as I normally do prior to season. Which I wish I would have waited to do before checking the running of everything, I get lightly coated each time I stick my fingers in now. I've tried it running outside, brrr. Seems when I drop the belts and put them back on it tries to work but then goes right back where it is. May just leave it be until next weekend, driving me nuts trying to figure it out, and that's a short drive. I can slide the sheave when I drop the belts, otherwise the belts hold it up unless it's running. (and yes, I went easy on the lube on the sheave, don't like spinning belts and going nowhere.)
Dang thing worked fine until I touched it.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Don , if I followed everything correctly , it sounds like it isn't adjusted properly or the v-assembly isn't swinging freely . It is supported/moves on the bolt behind the bigger adjusting bolt .

You did say you can drive the tractor now , correct ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes the tractor "drives" fine, just seems the variator isn't doing anything. It drives in what appears to be fast only. I'm wondering if the spring needs adjusted/loosened since I installed new belts. I can move the assembly by hand underneath but the lever does not make anything move.

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
Don the link between the variator control handle and the variator linkage could have come loose or broken and would cause what you are saying. On my 214 I almost never use the variator handle. I just leave the variator all the way forward and control the speed with my left foot. About the only time I used the variator handle was with the tiller to keep the tractor speed at its slowest. Roger

·
Registered
16 Posts
Time to throw in the towel. I've checked everything and it's all attached and seems proper. I've tried adjusting the spring both ways with no effect. I've tried adjusting the variator as the book indicates and nothing.
I've put far too much time into this just to have it working "properly". If it becomes an issue during season I guess I'll address it then but for now I'm exhausted. I'll check back here to see if anyone have any additional ideas and trust me, I do THANK YOU ALL for your help!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.