Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ihave a 216 & a 316 that both need spindle bearings. Started on the 216 but I need a double pulley(Am38140) so progress is halted.I believe the bearings for each unit are the same. Hoping the spindles are the same as I could rebuild the 216 ones & swap to the 316 deck. Thanks for your help! Bill

· Super Moderator
4,611 Posts
Are you talking about spindles on a mower deck or the tractors?

· Premium Member
89-322 2019-1025r
3,620 Posts
Yes. I just replaced bearings in one of my mandrels in my 50" deck for my 322.
I used these oem John deere bearings from Amazon. If you look at the fitment chart, it's the same for many decks.
Camera accessory Font Automotive tire Cameras & optics Circle
Font Number Paper Document Monochrome

· Registered
2,796 Posts
The bearings are the same. Depending on the age of the 216 and 316, some bearing hubs had slots for the carriage bolts that mount to the deck, and some had just square holes. Either will bolt into the deck the same, the slotted ones are just the newer design. Again the older spindle shafts used shorter blade bolts than the newer ones. Either will work, just need the right bolt.
One last difference is that on the 216 the 3 spindle assemblies are all the same. The 316 center spindle is different for the double pulley.

· Registered
2,677 Posts
billc, you may have not understood "charms" recent post. Re- read the last two sentences of his post. The outer two spindles are alike, but the center spindle for the hydro style deck is much longer to accommodate the taller double pulley. Just rebuild it too.

tommyhawk

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
billc, you may have not understood "charms" recent post. Re- read the last two sentences of his post. The outer two spindles are alike, but the center spindle for the hydro style deck is much longer to accommodate the taller double pulley. Just rebuild it too.

tommyhawk
thank you for the clarification, apparently I didn't understand the entire post. So, the outboard spindles are identical, the center is nt. Thanks again!
As far as the bearings go I would try to get ones with a plastic seal. I don’t like the metal seals as they fall out rather easily. ( just my .02 cents) 🤣🤣
Thanks, amazon seems to have quite a selection

1 - 9 of 9 Posts