Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, its finally installed. I've been thinking about repowering my 318 all winter, and I finally pulled the trigger. I got the 24 Hp Honda kit from Small Engine Warehouse, and I must say they do an excellent job on the kit. The engine bolted right up, and was running in a few hours. The only hang up I'm having is the front PTO clutch. I did not get the correct spacer(s) for the coil, but they are sending me some more. I have the engine in, and its running like a top, I just don't have the PTO clutch on yet.

I did need to use the new choke and throttle cables, the stock ones were way too short. The throttle cable isn't quite as smooth, but it will do the job. The next trick will be to find a cable routing that looks clean, and is functional. These steel braided cables don't take bends like the rubber coated ones, so a little more attention to routing is required. They can bind up a little bit if the bend is too sharp. Other than that, no complaints here. I took it for a quick spin after work to shake things down and it seems to be working great. Now if I can just get those spacers, I can get the rest of it back together.

(Message edited by robb318 on March 31, 2005)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Nice lookin job Mike, look at sew's website they have pictures of the throttle and choke cables run through the firewall under the air cleaner. I'm with you on their cables not operating as smooth as original ones. If you come up with a better solution on replacement cables post them on here. Soon I'm going to see if they offer a 20hp Honda for my 318.

(Message edited by teamroper on March 30, 2005)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I looked at running the cables under the air cleaner, but I'm concerned about the sharp turn they would have to make to hook up. On top of that, the cables are super long so I would have to figure out what to do with all of the slack. Is it possible to cut these cables to length? I don't want to butcher a brand new cable and make it unusable.

I thought I read somewhere on here that a 430 throttle cable would work. Can anyone confirm that?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hello all,
How does the 24HP Honda run compared to the 18HP Onan? Did would you consider the 20HP Honda if doing it again? I know that some day ahead I will need to do the same and want to keep an eye on what I will need to do it.

Mowing wise the 18HP Onan seem to have plenty of power, snow removal though, more power is almost always better...
Thanks for the input...
Conrad

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I got my spacers from SEW on Saturday, and finished up by getting the clutch installed. I also played around with the throttle cable and got it working smoother than it was before. Here are some pictures of the 318 with the body work back on. I also threw in a picture of the "new to me" trailer that I got last weekend for hauling my tractor around. All and all the Honda kit was a simple install, and I can't say enough good things about SEW. They did an excellent job on the kit, and got me the extra spacers right away. Even though I haven't had a chance to work the engine much yet, it seems to have more than enough power. Its not much quieter than the Onan, but it seems to have much more power. It sounds like the V-Twins that are used on commercial zero-turn mowers. I bet the engine would have enough power to run a 72" deck.....

(Message edited by keerym on April 03, 2005)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I forgot to mention I have the old engine, an Onan B43G, that I need to get rid of. It smoked a lot, and had low compression. Thats why I went with a new engine. Most of the parts on the engine are still good though, so it may make for a good donor engine. It has a good carb, new ignition parts, new filters, and a good muffler. Send me an email if your interested in the engine, maybe we can work out a deal. I'll also throw in the throttle and choke cables since I no longer need them. I need to move as many of the spare parts as I can. I have limited space and a move coming up.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Mike, what a great job!

I am leaning on going with the 24 hp also. I may not have to do that for a long time because the 18 hp is running like a champ. Now it will blow a rod since I said that.......

Please keep us posted as to how things are going. Did you have to do anything special when you dropped the Honda in?

GRP

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With this kit, I did not have to do anything to the tractor at all. I did need to modify the new throttle cable to fit, but thats really the only work I had to do. One note of caution, the clutch does not fit onto the crankshaft with the engine bolted into the frame. The crankshaft on the Honda is longer, and there isn't quite enough clearance with the front frame. No problem though if you install the clutch before you install the engine. If you need to work on the clutch after the engine is installed, just remove the four nuts and bolts holding the engine down and tilt the engine up and back. Also you will need to remove the muffler (only 4 nuts) to install/remove the clutch. With the 24 Hp kit you use your existing clutch, but make sure you follow the correct instructions for installing the clutch. Also, as a good practice, use new lock nuts so the gap you set holds.

It was a pretty simple swap. I would recommend it to anyone with a worn out Onan.

(Message edited by keerym on April 04, 2005)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This tractor will actually pull a wheelie! The engine has enough power that it will pick up the front tires if you hit the hydro hard enough. I guess I have plenty of power and a strong hydro....

Got the mower deck on and adjusted up today. Ready for mowing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When you go to the Small Engine Warehouse website, click on repower engines, then select John Deere 318. You'll get a list of engine kits, but the ones they have available are the Hondas. My kit was the 24 Hp, set up to replace a B43G or "B-Series" engine. If your 318 has a P218 engine, you will want the "P-Series" engine kit. The spacer and potentially some wiring will be different. The 24 Hp Honda is a GX670, and the SEW kit number is GX670-JD318-B. Let me know if I can be of any more help.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Its been running great! I can't say I have had much seat time, it mostly sits in the garage. I'm still in an apartment waiting for my company to move me so I can buy a house at that point. I go to the garage every night and look at it....thats about it.

I have had it out a few times mowing for other people, and its an absolute dream. Once it was in, there really hasn't been a need to touch it. A few more hours and I'll do the initial service on it. I would highly recommend this kit and engine.

I saw your post Mark on getting 324 decals made up. I actually thought of that as well, and would be interested if you find a way to make it work. I would probably find another used hood for mine since the one I have is in great shape with new paint and decals. Let me know if you come up with anything.

·
Banned
31 Posts
Well Folks, it was time to start this 24hp Honda repower so tonight, with the blessing of an understanding wife...I began.

Here are the pics so far, and right now, the motor and driveshaft and most electrical are disconnected. For now, time to call it a day/night and work on it later, hoping to have time to pull the motor totally out tomorrow eve after the day job...but so far on this task, the only real pain was getting that driveshaft disconnected. Just not a lot of room under there to work the tool.

For now, happy with the progress and enjoying the process...still pondering the Onan's value as decent motor...but I think the Honda repower is the best bang for the buck here.

Hope to keep a running pic here until done, and Mike K., I really appreciate your e-mail on install issues!

One bolt, one nut at a time, and no, this expenditure was not on our "list" here...but as always, you gotta keep a sense of humor. Personally, I love JD's 318/332 series and feel the investment is worth it compared to anything new currently on the market in this type of "tractor"...Granted, it may not be as easy as it looks doing this...but it beats watching TV!

Mark

·
Registered
25 Posts
Mike, I got tired of messing with SEW's throttle cable and took a gamble and ordered a 430 cable. It's the correct legnth for my 420 with the 24 Honda. I was also able to use my original choke cable.

(Message edited by teamroper on June 16, 2005)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.