Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 3 point hitch for my 318 yesterday and had a question on the stop strap that was included with it. I have a copy of the installation instructions and they show the install of the stop strap, but I was wondering what it actually does, and if it is actually needed???

Thanks,

Doug

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Hi Doug. It is my guess that it keeps the rockshaft from pivoting up and mashing into the fender deck or gas tank. It could do this if you had the cylinder all the way "up" and there was a lifting force on the 3pt, as there would be nothing to stop it from rotating farther upwards.

Kent

·
Banned
20 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. When I put my 3 point on I moved it up and down by hand to see if it was moving freely and before I placed the strap on. I noticed that the lift arms were bumping against the frame of the 318. I would think this would not hurt anything but then again that is just my guess. I put the strap on but have thought about taking it back off. Decisions Decisions.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hi guys, I got a friend with a real clean late model X300 with about 350 hrs. It has hydro issues, works fine in reverse but is weak in forward. Lacks forward movement like on not so steep upgrades. We installed a new hydro drive belt and idler pulleys, didn't help much. Any adjustments or ways to add/change hydro fluid? I'm seeing and hearing that only the X324's had a real good hydro,similar to the old LX Series. Is that correct? Anyone got any ideas? I also own one with one axle broke off. Deere doesn't sell a replacement axle. Anywhere to get one? Any help is greatly needed and appreciated. Fred

·
Administrator
6,328 Posts
Fred,
The X300 has a Tuff Torq K46 in it, which is light duty lawn tractor transmission. The X324 and X320 uses the K58 which is similar to the K46, but has a charge pump on it. I don't think the K46 is serviceable, but it sounds like that the fluid needs changed. Deere won't do it, as it's not a serviceable transmission, but I heard some people changing out the fluid themselves, though I don't know how it's done.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Gary, thanks for the info. Do you think the oil change will help? I have seen it work on some LX's in the past I guess. Seems to me Deere should put a higher quality hydro in these. I know they'd need to upcharge for it but I believe people would pay for it. I changed one of those Chinese drive pulleys out last week on a different X300 that was grinding and not moving at all. Pretty cheap design.

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
JD did exactly what you wanted but the better transmissions were in the more expensive models. Once again you get what you pay for. I know the local dealers here generally try to sell a better tractor to better meet what the owner says his needs are but people only see the green paint and the additional cost.. If you can figure out a way to educate consumers to their mechanical needs god bless you. I spent 30 years as a shop teacher and amongst the classes taught a consumer awareness class. Some people should never be allowed to buy anything mechanical based on their knowledge. Those same people are the first to post on forums, complain about the manufacturers quality and inferior product, buy in big box stores, try to save every nickel on every purchase and on and on. If they had listened to the sales people and not just assumed he was trying to jack up the price the consumer would still be happy. It is as simple as you gets what you pay for. Roger

·
Registered
266 Posts
Fred: I do not know if a oil change will help or not but it cant hurt. Other then a few dollars and your time. I have to agree with Roger though on the newer models of tractors. Usually its you get what you pay for. Thats one reason I just keep plugging away with my 318. My wife says I cant get a new one till this one is wore out and it's looking like thats not gonna happen any time soon....... Dang it........ Gary

·
Administrator
6,328 Posts
Roger,
An X300 isn't cheap. It's part of the X-series machines - it's just at the bottom of the line. For the money it costs, JD should have put in a better transmission like they did in the older LX series the X300 series replaced.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Yes I agree. But I like the Harley Davidson attitude. Build it right and they'll pay for it. Atleast make parts available besides just a complete transmission. Guess I'm the Andy Rooney of lawn tractors. I'll try the oil change next weekend. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
Terry my only comment would be if JD put the better transmission in X300 would have cost the same as the X324 which came with the better transmission. The bean counters controlled this one. It is like a new truck if you want W accessory you have buy X, Y and Z in the package to get W. Roger

·
Registered
27 Posts
I changed the oil in my 300 should have saved the $25.00 that it cost. Other than finding a used one in good shape, you can return it to tufftorq and they will rebuild it, and will upgrade the unit also. I think it costs about 350.00. If you are interested, contact me for the contact at Tufftorq.

·
Registered
3 Posts
IMHO, the K46 is a rapcay tranny, not even worthy of a low end MTD mower. Why the heck JD put this urdtay in their X300 series is beyond me.

FWIW, this bitter taste comes from an experience my Dad had with another color tractor with the same k46 tranny. It had to be replaced after about 22 hrs. The new one seems strong, but time will tell.

I know none of this helps with your situation, but there is some history to this tranny as you can read from the link posted earlier here over at mytractorforum.

Good luck,
Bill

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hi guys, latest update on the failed x300 Trans. We put in a new one and after the 811.00 bite it works fine. But I discovered something, Deere changed drive pulley size reduced it, makes hydro pump faster. Must be their fix I guess. Have to buy shorter belt now too. Another 35 bucks. Hey, nothing runs like a Deere?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I suspect John Deere is rolling over in his grave ; seeing some of this creaap his Co. is now putting out to compete with the junk market , which is counter-indicative to his company creed of only putting the very best possible into his products .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.