Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my 64 110 serial number 11971 that I am assembling the transmission on. I need a new gear for it. Due to the fact mine is missing a tooth. Went to Peerless to look at their parts diagram but I don't know the model number. Website says the numbers are on the case but not on mine. The gear I need is number 25 on the John Deere parts diagram and its just labeled GEAR and is not available through them. Any idea what transmission this is? Thanks Jim

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
I think it is a 2000 Series Peerless. It might be a 1700 Series but those both use the same internal parts. You might still have a hard time getting the gear since the transmissions haven't been used for years. Depending on the gear you need some are the same as used by the 4 speed 2300 Series. You could try a Google search putting in the JD part number and I suspect you will find the cross over to Peerless. Roger

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Roger. I looked it up and that part number seems to have changed to a seal and the gear is no longer available. I disassembled a four speed that I had and was able to find two of the gears that I needed but not the third. So the hunt is on. If anyone has a three speed for parts please let me know. Thanks Jim

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
John some but not all. The cluster gear is not the same for example. You can look up both transmissions in 110s under serial number 100,000 in www.jdparts.com. If the gears part number is the same they are the same. When I do this I generally just print out the list of part numbers for each transmission and compare. Roger

·
Registered
617 Posts
Jim, The part number for the gear you are looking for that you have listed in the WFM Wanted to Buy section is not correct. I will send you an email with the correct (vintage) Tecumseh/Peerless part number for this gear (not posting it here as there are currently 4 listed on Ebay and don’t want to potentially increase your competition from other WFM members). This gear is also shown as being available via some of the online parts suppliers that I have used in the past, including outdoordistributors.com and partstree.com. Be advised that Peerless was owned by Tecumseh Products Corporation back when our tractors were being built but the Peerless division was sold off to Husqvarna Outdoor Power back in 2009. I do not know if there are currently any plans to update the part numbers but it appears that the Peerless parts are still being sold under the old Tecumseh part numbers.

Regarding your original question, as to what specific model transaxle you are working on, I believe it to be a model 2001. Please refer to my post listed below as to how I reached this conclusion:

http://www.wfmachines.com/discus/messages/17/227972.html#POST247896

Regarding the other questions as to what gears/parts will interchange between different transaxles, I would advise any interested parties to get familiar with JDParts (www.jdparts.com) and look up the particular part in question and then use their Where Used Search option to see where all a particular part is used. In Jim’s case, the JD Part number for the gear he is looking for is M40370 and was used in the early JD model 110 3-speed transaxle but also in the 3-speed transaxle used by the model 60-70-100 lawn tractors (which is a Peerless model 1206).

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Bob, you continue to amaze me with your grasp of these machines. You-da-man!
I've been doing research on this problem off and on for a few days and thought Tecumseh had a possible mistake, but just couldn't be sure enough to spend someone else's money to find out.
One wrong number or (10,000 numbers off) can cause a lot of grief. Am I on the right track?

tommyhawk

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
John,
To answer your question yes some 60 70 100 transmission parts will work in a 110 3 speed not all.
Jim

·
Registered
617 Posts
Hi Tom, You would be spot on with your assessment regarding the part number. I too had to do some research prior to responding to Jim’s question. I first had to look up his key # reference in jdparts (which coincidently may be a different key # depending on what particular issue of PC855 you are looking in) , followed by a where used search to see that it was also used in the model 1206 transaxle. I then looked up the gear in an official OEM paper parts manual under both the model 2001 and 1206 transaxle and got the same OEM gear #. Finding sources for the gear online was the easy part.

Personally I have never been able to locate any OEM sourced digitized copies of the Peerless illustrated parts breakdowns on the internet, even back when they were owned by Tecumseh. The ones I have seen appear to have been developed by parts retailers for illustrative purposes and do not even remotely come close to matching either the detail or accuracy of the OEM data. If anyone can post a link to what they believe to be OEM sourced digitized copies of the Peerless parts breakdowns I would greatly appreciate seeing it.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Bob, it sounds like we both found the same clues the same way. Without your help, I wouldn't have thought to go back to JDParts to do the OEM number to JD number crossover. That's when the suspected number seemed to be the right one for sure.
Do you suppose the misprint by Tecumseh/Peerless is what caused JD to make their number NLA? I'd have to think they bought all the gears from Tecumseh.
When my son rebuilt his '64 three speed nearly 10 years ago, we had to buy 3 new gears. Lucky for us M40370 was still OK. It was marked NLA at that time.
Should I ever find a better OEM parts illustration for these trannys, I'll be sure to let you know.

tommyhawk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I received my gear from Jim Hartman today and it is exactly what I need. I big thanks to Jim and everyone else who helped out. It seems that the Peerless number was wrong. The number they list is 788021 and the correct one is 778021. Thanks everyone Jim.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Jim,
Glad I could help you out and that you are please.
Jim H

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have one of these new John Deere gears M10370 in the package I bought from a dealer going out of business as part of a "lot" of parts being sold. Currently for sale, but I think I might just hang onto it. For someone who needs it, not someone trying to snatch it up for a quick buck turn-around.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.