Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for all that have a gear drive lx series tractor that has the dreaded shakes/jerking action while driving. i had the trans apart one time and replaced the key ways that always go bad. it was fine for a while. starting jumping again in 3rd gear the most used. this tractor probaly has north of 3000 hours on it. i had a 98 craftsman tractor that was for parts that had the 6 speed peerless trans in it. i had to switch over the pulley and use a little bit different setup for the front mount on the trans. actually used the ones from the craftsman tractor. then then only other problem i had was the axles in the craftsman 6spd transaxle were shorter and the JD wheels would not fit. i had to take an inch or so off from the backside of the wheels with a cutoff wheel and grind them down smooth. the shifter linkage from the original trans was longer and wouldn;t clear the frame on the replacement transaxle because the shifter stub was slightly moved from the original trans. the shift pattern is a bit shorter than the original. when it is in 6th gear it is about in the 3rd gear position. neutral and reverse are the same. a cheap and easy fix if ur handy and don;t care if it is original.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
The #26 is common to the K241 and K301 engines. There was a #28 but it is pretty rare. The #30 is a lot bigger. If you were running a modified puller engine with a bigger cam and valves and higher rpm's you might like the #30.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
My reading says 28s are great carbs, especially on the k301 but hard to find.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.