Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, with my 300 tractor running, what should the reading be on the ammeter? I'm wondering if I have a charging problem. Battery is charging now.
Thanks
Nick in CT

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Nick, with a properly operating charging system and a good battery the meter should show a fairly high charge after starting, then taper off to just lightly above the center (zero) position. If you turn on the lights or engage the PTO the meter should indicate a moderate charge, but a lot depends on the capacity and condition of the battery. Also, small tractor ammeters are not precision devices so readings sometime vary from one meter to another.
In my opinion the only time to be concerned is if the meter consistently shows a discharge with the engine running at 1/2 throttle or higher.
Stan in CT

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stan,
The battery is fairly new. I started the tractor this morning. When the motor turns over the needle stays at center even after starting. At a low idle the ammeter remains in the center position. When I put the lights on, it moves negative quite a bit.
Nick

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Stan,
I figured it out. I tested the stator and was getting readings in the 25-35 range. I then noticed the middle wire on the regulator had come loose. I fixed it and now when I start the tractor, the ammeter needle is about 1/4 way in on the positive side.
Thanks
Nick

·
Banned
170 Posts
Then you're probably not charging. If you know for sure you are charging, then the meter is reversed. Can't say for sure on the 300's, but my 400 is just a pass through affair, no actual connections. The wire simple gets pushed into a slot on the back of the meter. If that is routed backwards, then the meter swings the other way.

Greg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.