Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a chance to work on my project 300 this morning and finally got her started. She runs OK, but the carb overflows with gas and it shuts down. With the amount of fuel its dumping, its obviously more than just a leak at the gaskets. I pulled the bowl off and looked at the float. No apparent holes and it seems to be moving freely. I tried to adjust it quickly by lowering the float a little, but problem persists and I end up with a bowl full of fuel. I'm wondering if maybe the float valve isn't sealing when the float rises. There also seems to be some lateral play with the float pin. Engine is a stock Kohler 16. Any thoughts /suggestions?
Thanks
Nick

·
Registered
627 Posts
Nick,

Had the same problem once and I went through a bunch of troubleshooting to fix it. I finally found that an ant made a nice mud nest in the atmospheric vent hole. It didn't even look like mud. I thought someone had JB Welded the hole shut!! This site was the savior for me.

In the link below, it has a picture at the top right with labels. Take a look at this and then go down to the causes of carburetor flooding. All of these are great areas to start. I won't reiterate them here.

http://gardentractorpullingtips.com/carbfuel.htm

Good luck.

Mike

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had a few minutes last night so I pulled the carb off. The atmospheric vent hole is clear. I shook the float and didn't hear any fuel inside. I tested the float for holes by submerging in warm water for a few minutes. There were a couple of small air bubbles that came out of one seam but it doesn't seem like the float itself is the problem. The fuel inlet needle seems to seal up OK in the seat. The bowl and baffle gaskets are a mess, so I picked up a rebuild kit this morning. While I don't think the float is the problem, I ordered one anyways. I'll put the rebuild kit in tonight, check the float height and see what happens.
Nick

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I soaked the carb overnight and I picked up a rebuild kit today. Put the carb together and back on the engine. Problem solved.

Today I drove my project tractor down the street and back for the first time. It must have been something to see as there is nothing there but the gas tank in back. Anyway, Hydro is pretty cool. Up to this point I've only had my 111 gear drive tractor. Glad to see that the powertrain is working. Creeps a little but I haven't done anything yet with it. No brakes either.
Nick

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update - Started her today and was sputtering and blowing gas out of the carb. I dropped the bowl a couple of time to inspect and everything seemed OK. I finally pulled the float off and shook it. Turns out it had gas in it. So I guess it was the problem after all. The dealer had to order me a float so I'll pick it up tomorrow and see.
Nick

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Hello Guy's
I recently picked up the air filer housing for an Onan engine that they run in the front mower model F-935. It is much higher than the standard duty air filter housing that I currently have on my Onan P-218 that is in my 1983 John Deere 318. I feel as though by adding this Higher profile air filter housing it will increase my air flow and allow a better filtration of the incoming air. My question is does anyone know the after Market air filter Brand name or Parts number's I need the paper element as well as the foam pre-filter. John Deere want's over $26.00 for it so I figured an Out side source for air filter's would be more reasonable and do just as good. Thank's for any Insight here I appreciate it. Regards, Kurt

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
Kurt does the filter look like this one? If so it was made by Donaldson and at least this one has the Donaldson model number on it. For the what is worth there wasn' t much difference in JD's and Donaldson's price and JD might have been cheaper when I put that tractor together. I bought the filter at a flea market but the filter interchanged with one of Deere's ZTR filters. Roger

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.