Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I'm almost done resurrecting my 300 project tractor, I'm going to start on the 46" mower deck. The shell looks good minus normal rust, etc. I plan to strip the spindles, blades, etc. from the deck and send it out for sand blasting.

I have a bunch of questions:

1. When inspecting the deck, what should I look for when checking the spindles, hubs, etc.?

2. Has anyone bought one of the rebuild kits on ebay that has gauge wheels, blades, bearings, and belts for $190? I haven't compared the price yet to the components if purchased individually.

3. Is there a rear bagger bracket for the 300? I don't see one on JDParts.

4. Lastly, I currently use a JD111 to mow. I use the lever to manually raise/lower the deck and the height adjustment knob to set it at various heights. The 300 uses hydro to raise and lower the deck. How does one set the deck height for cutting? Is that what the deck gauge wheels are for?

Thanks.
Nick in CT

·
Registered
235 Posts
4 - No, that is not what the gauge wheels are for. It says in you manual, they should be placed about 1/4" off the concrete when you level your blades.
I don't have a 300, but I think they are similar to my 317. There is a knob on the left side of the fender deck between your knees. You turn this knob to adjust the height. Sorry I don't know how a 300 is, but that should be close.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Nick,
1- When I did the restoration of mine the middle pulley was tilted forward.
Put all blade parallel to the frame of the tractor and check if all the blade are in line horizontally.
JD made plates to reinforce the mower deck where the spindle are bolted to avoid this problem...

I made my own imitation for mine...

I can send a CAD drawing if you want to make your own.
Andre

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey everyone. I got the deck back from the sandblaster today and need some opinions:

1.) How should I fix the stress cracks? Should I weld them or braze?

2.) What's the best way to fix the pin holes?

Thanks guys. This is new territory for me.
Nick in CT

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Decided to try brazing. I watched a couple of how-to videos on youtube and picked up a mapp / oxy torch at the hardware store. Once I figured out the torch, I fixed one of the cracks. The fix seems pretty solid. For the middle spindle area, I'm going to fill in between the patch and the deck metal to strengthen it. I'll post pics after.
Nick

·
Registered
308 Posts
Did you say pinholes? Mine was much worse. With no chance of a local (South African) replacement I first tried brazing with baling wire but the heat caused distortion. Lacking easy access to a Mig/Tig welder I am now welding up with an arch welder. In retrospect, I should have cut sections out and replaced with new plate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.