Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I've got a '79 314 that I want to get setup for plowing. I want to add dual brakes and h2 out the front. I bought a 300 parts tractor for those parts. I'm trying to get the brake assembly out of the 300 but I can't get past these pins. Do I need to cut the heads off?
Looks like similar pins on the 314

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
317 is completely interchangeable with what you want to do. 300 is not interchangeable.. I am sure someone will argue that is can be done by an expert mechanic with a cutting torch, a welder, and $2000. Why not get a 317 parts tractor where the parts are bolt in replacement?

I made the same conversion on my 314. It makes an awesome little tractor.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I'm pretty sure those are tapered pins that only come out one direction. The pin appears to be peened down so you'll need to grind (possibly) both heads and drive with a pin punch one way or the other-which ever way seems to drive.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
317 is completely interchangeable with what you want to do. 300 is not interchangeable.. I am sure someone will argue that is can be done by an expert mechanic with a cutting torch, a welder, and $2000. Why not get a 317 parts tractor where the parts are bolt in replacement?

I made the same conversion on my 314. It makes an awesome little tractor.
I bought this 300 after being told it was a 316K. Other than the hydraulic levers, what won't bolt up?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm pretty sure those are tapered pins that only come out one direction. The pin appears to be peened down so you'll need to grind (possibly) both heads and drive with a pin punch one way or the other-which ever way seems to drive.
Any suggestion for what I can use to replace the pin? Another pin?

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
I see your question but supper is on the table. I will get back with you ... Gabby

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
The closes frame 300 is actually a late model 140. The 316K is a one year 16 hp single cylinder Kohler with H2 hydraulics and dual brake pedals like the 300. 316K is most like the 300. Steering and hydraulc's are different from 312/314/317. I am not familiar with the 312 so am leaving it out of this conversation.
  • Only service parts are listed for 300/316K control valve, no valve part number. Valve may fit 317/314 but I am not sure.
  • The hydraulic lever assembly is interchangeable between 140/300 but not on 316K. Control valve linkage will not fit 317/314
  • 316K lever assembly should work on 317/314 ... Control valve linkage should be interchangeable between 316K and 317/314
  • The front right side oil lines on your 314 are same part number as used on 317 so leave them attached.
  • Use 317 left side oil lines. 300/316K will need modification to attach. That is why I say use the 317 parts. They are a bolt in part.
  • You can use you 314 brake set up but need some parts from 317. You need the second brake pedal and independent linkage parts.
If you have baby size fingers it is a simple conversion. Most difficult part of the conversion is replacing the H1 control valve with the H2 valve. Very small and confined area. I will offer a precaution. Make sure the H2 valve you will be using is not bound up and non-functional. Especially the detented spool. You can remove the spool and clean the parts. That is best way to confirm it will work since you have the valve out and laying on your work bench.

When you get into the project don't be timid about asking questions. That is what the membership is supposed to do ... help each other out.

A couple photos of my 314.
DSCN4496.JPG Hyd_Levers.JPG Lift1.JPG DSCN4027.JPG DSCN4030.JPG

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The closes frame 300 is actually a late model 140. The 316K is a one year 16 hp single cylinder Kohler with H2 hydraulics and dual brake pedals like the 300. 316K is most like the 300. Steering and hydraulc's are different from 312/314/317. I am not familiar with the 312 so am leaving it out of this conversation.
  • Only service parts are listed for 300/316K control valve, no valve part number. Valve may fit 317/314 but I am not sure.
  • The hydraulic lever assembly is interchangeable between 140/300 but not on 316K. Control valve linkage will not fit 317/314
  • 316K lever assembly should work on 317/314 ... Control valve linkage should be interchangeable between 316K and 317/314
  • The front right side oil lines on your 314 are same part number as used on 317 so leave them attached.
  • Use 317 left side oil lines. 300/316K will need modification to attach. That is why I say use the 317 parts. They are a bolt in part.
  • You can use you 314 brake set up but need some parts from 317. You need the second brake pedal and independent linkage parts.
If you have baby size fingers it is a simple conversion. Most difficult part of the conversion is replacing the H1 control valve with the H2 valve. Very small and confined area. I will offer a precaution. Make sure the H2 valve you will be using is not bound up and non-functional. Especially the detented spool. You can remove the spool and clean the parts. That is best way to confirm it will work since you have the valve out and laying on your work bench.

When you get into the project don't be timid about asking questions. That is what the membership is supposed to do ... help each other out.

A couple photos of my 314.
View attachment 263719 View attachment 263720 View attachment 263721 View attachment 263722 View attachment 263723
Thanks for the information, I'm just going to forget trying to put this hydro setup on my 314 then and just get one from a 317. So that leaves the brakes. This 300 came with dual pedals, so I have those. I already grabbed a return spring and I know i need to make a stop for the left side. Anything else I need for the brake swap? What linkage do you mean?

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Thanks for the information, I'm just going to forget trying to put this hydro setup on my 314 then and just get one from a 317. So that leaves the brakes. This 300 came with dual pedals, so I have those. I already grabbed a return spring and I know i need to make a stop for the left side. Anything else I need for the brake swap? What linkage do you mean?
I do not think so. Each brake pedal will have an attachment pin for the brake rod whereas the single pedal had one location where both rods attached. You may need to remove the original pedal to clean things. I think you may need to replace the brake rod that runs through the frame because two pedals will need a longer rod. There may be a washer or two needed from original parts tractor.

No idea where you live. I have all the parts you need from 2-3 317 tractors I scrapped out to get the Brantly power steering units. I am not a scrapper. Just have some parts to get rid of. And I can guarantee you I will sell them to you cheaper than any scapper will.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Converted my '79 314 to H2 and dual brakes using parts from a '78 316 this past summer.

Hydraulic valve from the '78 316 bolts right into a '79 314, as do the levers/linkages. Right side hydraulic lines bolt right in as Gabby mentions, left side lines I had to cut and have short hoses made to connect to the hydraulic valve. Connection via hydraulic compression fittings was simple. Was not a big deal IMO.

Dual brake pedals/shaft from the '78 316 donor drop right into the 314. I did have to fabricate a couple pins...pedal stop and a spring perch as they were not on the 314 frame from factory.

20200817_145054.jpg

Al

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was told it was a 316, it's actually a 300 parts tractor. The pin I'm seeing on the parts diagram is part #25h97, a groove pin. It looks nothing like the pin I'm seeing with the head on it. I assume the groove pin will fit once I cut the heads off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do not think so. Each brake pedal will have an attachment pin for the brake rod whereas the single pedal had one location where both rods attached. You may need to remove the original pedal to clean things. I think you may need to replace the brake rod that runs through the frame because two pedals will need a longer rod. There may be a washer or two needed from original parts tractor.

No idea where you live. I have all the parts you need from 2-3 317 tractors I scrapped out to get the Brantly power steering units. I am not a scrapper. Just have some parts to get rid of. And I can guarantee you I will sell them to you cheaper than any scapper will.
I'm in lancaster, ohio. So pretty far from Wisconsin

·
Registered
398 Posts
I just scrapped out a 210 that had those pins. Rotate that arm back towards that hole in the frame and knock the pin through the hole.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Converted my '79 314 to H2 and dual brakes using parts from a '78 316 this past summer.

Hydraulic valve from the '78 316 bolts right into a '79 314, as do the levers/linkages. Right side hydraulic lines bolt right in as Gabby mentions, left side lines I had to cut and have short hoses made to connect to the hydraulic valve. Connection via hydraulic compression fittings was simple. Was not a big deal IMO.

Dual brake pedals/shaft from the '78 316 donor drop right into the 314. I did have to fabricate a couple pins...pedal stop and a spring perch as they were not on the 314 frame from factory.

Al
Took me a bit to look up the information. I agree the 78 316K shows same part numbers a 317 so should be usable.

Keep your eyes open for a parts 317. Many more available. Should be able to find one local to you.

Good luck ... Gabby

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
Correction: I just reread Gippeto's post. Don't understand why he cut parts and installed hoses. No need to do that using JD 317 parts AM37071 and AM37072. They fit perfectly in my 1979 314. There may be a difference between the 316K and 317 H2 control valves which required modification. Why not just get the parts that are a straight bolt in?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had done some reading/research and knew that 317 parts were a bolt on, but I didn't have a 317.

I used what I had (a parted out 316K) and what I could easily get (hydraulic hoses)... and got 'er done. For the cost of the two hydraulic hoses ($40CDN), I wasn't going to waste my time looking for a 317 or bending new lines.

Al

1 - 16 of 16 Posts