Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - I'm new to WFM - as a farm kid who grew up with late 70's through 80's JD garden tractors in family and friends, its a thrill to me the enthusiasm people have for these machines. I found a 314 today- either 79-80. pretty good shape, had been sitting out at local Lawn and Garden dealer in little town around my parents' in IL. Impressive that this thing hadn't been run in some time (low tires, high grass around it) and it started right up.

To my question: I find this 314 with the muffler with exhaust pipe side exhaust louder than I remember similar tractors. I'm looking for one that runs and sounds ultra smooth like the best of those single cylinders did..almost a harmonic sound to me! Would it be possible to swap the side panels with those from a 75-78 300/316 as well as a muffler from one of those? Also, someone had turned the revs up a bit on this one, and if memory serves from our 210 back in the day, it's easy enough to adjust. PS.. gotta love small towns, they told me the whole history of the tractor, and that they'd sold it, repo'd it and would take the balance.. $550!! Haven't decided on this 314 yet, but may take it for the tractor itself.

· Premium Member
7,564 Posts
Have them throw in a stock muffler at 550.

Its a kohler single so it's louder then a twin in some ways, but it should not but not any bit obscene. No need to change mufflers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,012 Posts
314s came with side panels so you should not have a problem finding the correct pieces. JD parts shows the 300/316 use a different muffler but not sure on the difference.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.