Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
314+49+33+54; X728 + 47 going forward
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 314 has ~700 hours on it since the engine was re-built. It gets regular use summer and winter and generally I leave it be if it's running well. This summer it started to run a bit rough after ~30 minutes of mowing, never stalling but threatening to stall, usually when under a heavier load from the deck or moving uphill. I installed new air and fuel filters since it had been a while (no change of symptoms). Gapping the points made no change. Then checked the timing statically and found it was significantly advanced before the S mark on the flywheel.
Changing the timing to move it closer to the S mark resulted in smooth starting, but weak operating once the PTO was engaged.

I installed new points and condenser last night but did not start it up as it was late. What was strange was that setting the timing required setting the gap as small as possible, i.e., moving the fixed point all the way to one side of its adjustment range, away from the block. It's almost as if the rod that pushes the points open is too long. Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Typically a change associated with time, which usually includes engine temperature, is an issue with the ignition coil. I don't have specs for coil, but you could check with engine cold and then when engine is hot and sputtering/threatening to stall.

Measure primary resistance from + terminal on coil to - terminal on coil and record. Measure secondary resistance from - terminal on coil to center/spark plug wire terminal and record. When engine sputters or stalls, measure the resistance again. A large difference will indicate coil is overheating & failing and needs replacing. Bob

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Started the tractor last night and it only needed 1/2 choke. Ran for about 20 minutes with normal power and smooth operation. I'll give it a workout today and see how it runs when fully warmed up.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The coil measurements did change when the engine warmed up, but I think lead to the spark plug was a bit loose for this bouncy engine. I replaced the plug, cleaned and re-crimped the lead to the plug so it is snug, adjusted the carburetor, idle and top speed and it is running very smooth at all speeds.

I still wonder about the points adjustment being all the way in one direction.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts