Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a older 316 with a Kohler engine.
Is it possible that the governor lever could have slipped on the shaft?
With the throttle wide open it only seems to be about half throttle and when I back off it stalls out at half way.
Bill

·
Registered
472 Posts
Bill, dont mess with the governor!! It will overreve if it had slipped. There is a coupl things to look at, first start where your throttle linkage hooks up the bolts that hold the whole throttle mechanism may have come loose. there is 2 bolts, one in the middle, and one off to the left of that. also make sure your srew that holds the cable hasn't slipped that could also cause that. There is an adjustment screw on that throttle mechanism also, you could adjust that too. let us know what you find out.

Tom

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Tom,
I have looked, checked all the linkage, nothing appears to be loose or moved. I was looking at the Kohler service book about setting the gov. It didn't look that bad. I haven't touched it yet, was waiting to get some ideas from here first.
The one thing I did find, and it's this way on my 140 too is that the shaft going into the to of the carb. is loose. But I wouldn't think that would keep it from high RPM, only idle. Right?
Bill

·
Registered
472 Posts
Bill that is you throttle linkage. It will effect both high and low idle but it will act like a miss. Governors are easy to set, but if its off, you would get a rev with the slitest movement in the throttle. Try to loosen the throttle mechanism by losening the 2 screws. with the engine running move it down, that will cause more pull on the gov spring which will give more throttle. Be carful not to adjust it to high. to much rpm can damage the engine. There is also a idle adjust screw in the side of the carb, right by that throttle linkage if you turn it clockwise you can get the engine to run without dying, But I belive once you adjust the above it will work for you.

Tom

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Tom,
I moved the cable back just a little in the clamp. The high end sounds pretty good now, When the lever gets about half way down to idle though it stalls out. I played with the idle jet and it didn't seem to make a difference. Screwed it all the way in and most of the way out.
So I took the carb off and took it a part, cleaned it and decided to put a kit in while it's out. Got to go get it tomorrow.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Bill, do you have the manual for the Kohler engines that tells what the carb should be set at? If not let me know or go to kohlerengines.com You can download the manual there.

The screw I was talking about adjusting is the one that contacts the throttle linkage. it sit horizontally in the carb.

Tom

·
Registered
29 Posts
Bill,

I just had to rebuild my carburetor on my 314 with single cylinder 14HP Kohler.... The throttle shaft was loose as it went into the carb. It was that way for about a year or so. The dealer said I had to take the carb off and take it to them to "drill" out the carb housing for a new bushing... However, I was trying to find a "good time" to take the tractor down for the time to repair...yeah right!

As it turned out the throttle plate screws came out and went through the engine (thank God! they didn't roach it).... Once both screws came off, the plate got wedged into the wide open position.

I tell you what... a 314 can really push some snow when the throttle is stuck wide open!

Once I took the carb into the dealer I got the correct throttle shaft repair kit. Didn't have to drill it out... The old shaft was worn into a "football" shape... it is a wonder it would run at all...

Anyhow...I replaced it and put in a carb kit at the same time. She runs better than I can remember now!

I would look into replacing the throttle shaft as soon as possible as I believe the throttle shaft being loose and vibrating is what caused the throttle plate to come off....

Hope this helps....
dwzkd

·
Registered
472 Posts
Bill, have you got that carb back running yet? Just want to see how everything turned out.

Tom

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not yet Tom. I got it back together last night, now I have to put it back on the tractor.
I tried a suggestion from a small engine repair place, I put a small o-ring on the throttle shaft to try and tighten it up some and seal it.
Has anyone else tried this with any success?
Bill

·
Registered
29 Posts
Bill,

Can you wiggle the ends of the throttle shaft to see if it is loose. On mine, the shaft was worn on both ends so if the O-ring does help, it will only help on the top end...

This should be easy to check with the carb off. I would reach in the block side of the cart and wiggle the bottom end of the shaft and see if it moves. If it does, I'd say the o-ring might help but the problem will continue to get worse.

The throttle shaft kit I got had a metallic bushing to press into place where you are suggesting the o-ring. but even it wouldn't help on mine because the shaft was worn.....

If the shaft on top or bottom wiggles side to side, I would replace it..

Kit was ~$25

good luck
Brian

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Brian, Where did you get the kit? My J.D. dealer had no idea what I was talking about and the small engine repair shop I stopped at said he just replaces the hole carb.
Here in TN collecting LGT is not a big thing, most people think I am crazy for having so many "lawn mowers"
Bill

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is the kit consist of a new bigger shaft, a white nylon o-ring and a washer? He sold me one of them, but said it was a replacement for the replacement carb.
I put it back on and it runs a lot better. I can actually use the whole length of the throttle.
The next question is the "anti-diesel" plunger. It stays out all the time, when I unplug the wire it will go in, but running or not it stays out. Is this normal?
Thanks for everyone's help!!
Bill

·
Registered
29 Posts
Bill,

I got the kit from my local dealer. I don't think it was a JD part but a Kohler part.

Here is a link that shows the different kits. It also shows no longer available... though I just got mine 2-3 wks ago....

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/carb_parts_k.cfm

I'll keep looking to see if I can find another source. You will need to measure the throttle shaft (see pics) on the link to get the right one....
Brian

·
Registered
29 Posts
Here is a place that shows them for sale.

I've never purchased from them....

You might be able to take this info into your dealer or small engine guy to see about ordering it...

http://www.psep.biz/store/kohler_carburetor_parts.htm

NOTE: My dealer is a lawn & garden tractor dealership... not an AG dealership.... so they may also carry more parts ???

Let me know if you need more info... It was really easy to do. I did have to ream out the hole in the carb a small amount (like to deburr rough edges)... I have a small tool that let me put a small piece of emery cloth into a drill and run it into the hole....

Hope this helps...

Brian

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Everyone,
I used the 316 to pull my little trailer around the yard taking down the Christmas decorations. I ran real well. After it got dark I pulled it in the garage and put the air cleaner back and it seems to run even better with the breathers hooked up.
I am going to run it like that for a while to see how it does.
I got that web page saved Brian for the future.

Thanks again for everyone's help!!

Bill

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.