Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back story, The PTO was blowing fuses until I figured out how to adjust the PTO. Replaced the fuse for the PTO. I checked other fuse next to it, it was fine. Replaced the Starter Relay. The lights on the dash, oil light, and battery light are bright ( this has been normal for the tractor before starting). I turned over the key spark jumped out of the positive battery terminal. Now when I turn on the key. the oil light is very dim.
I checked the seat switch cleaned and added diaeletric grease. Replaced the ground wire ( it was hard to keep tight on the terminal). I know the engine spins by hand. Netural switch makes strong clicking noise when engaging and disengaging. I am assuming it is working.

I am stumped at what to look at next. battery has a charge of 12.44 volts. where should I look next? for a break in circuit?

·
Premium Member
9,902 Posts
The sparking at the battery positive terminal indicates a poor connection there. Battery posts and cable ends can get a thin coating of lead oxide which is transparent and yet a good insulator, making drawing high currents (such as the starter...) through this connection impossible. When you clean the battery post, be sure to SCRAPE it until bright -- just using a brush is not enough. Also clean the mating surface of the battery cable terminal by scraping...

Dim dash lights indicate a low voltage at the harness due to the poor battery connection.

Chuck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been fighting oxidation build-up with the positive wire. I was afraid of that. Thank you for confirming what I was thinking about going after next. I might go get a new one. I just don't want to pull the motor so I can get to the starter.

·
Premium Member
9,902 Posts
Duke,

Just cleaning the connection and then putting dielectric grease on it will keep it from further oxidation. You should not need to replace or re-terminate the cable unless there is corrosion down in the multi-strand conductor of the cable itself.

Chuck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Duke,

Just cleaning the connection and then putting dielectric grease on it will keep it from further oxidation. You should not need to replace or re-terminate the cable unless there is corrosion down in the multi-strand conductor of the cable itself.

Chuck
I have been battling the corrosion the whole time I have owned the tractor. I bought it used 4 years ago.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts