Weekend Freedom Machines banner

316 with P218 loosing spark

1K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  k91 
I'm going to piggy back onto your thread, Keith. My 318 is doing the exact same thing. Replaced coil and condensor (electronic ignition), mowed in cool weather (low 70's) no problem. Next time it's 92 and it dies after 10-15 minutes. No spark. After an hour or so, it runs for 10 more before dying. That $175 module is tempting.

Ok, heres more info. When it's cold, I checked voltage with the key on at the coil posts. Both read 12=- volts. Turn the motor by hand and the voltage drops on both down to .8-.9 and then comes back up on rotation. Took it out and ran it till it stopped (not long), checked again with the key on and 12 volts, no drop out. Waited a minute or so and checked again, rotation the motor by hand, saw the drop in voltage, cranked it and it started up, ran a minute then quit. Same readings as before. So, I am definatly replacing the ignition module and rotor, right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.