Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is a cab considered an attachment? Hope this is the right place..... After getting full of snow yesterday while blowing snow I'm thinking about looking into a cab. But I need some options first. For the guys who have a cab, is it worth it? On an air cooled tractor how do you keep the windows from fogging? How much room in there inside on a 300 series tractor? What options/brands are there? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
716 Posts
I'm interested in this as well so I'm going to follow your thread.
I blew snow with one of my tractors for the first time Saturday and it didn't take long for me to wish I had a cab. Curious to know how much room there is with the seat adjusted all the way back? Also wondered about the fogging. I had a pair of ski goggles on the other day and couldn't even keep those from fogging.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Searched for 1000 miles from Waterloo, Ia as the center of the search.
Found 1 : John Deere Tractor Cab - 200 and 300 Series
https://albany.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=John+deere+316+Cab&sort=date&searchNearby=2&nearbyArea=451&nearbyArea=249&nearbyArea=686&nearbyArea=3&nearbyArea=338&nearbyArea=93&nearbyArea=173&nearbyArea=354&nearbyArea=250&nearbyArea=168
Canaan, NY 350.00 It is located 700 miles from Grand Rapids - Good Luck, Hard to come by this time of year.

Weather Enclosure Part Numbers for John Deere 316:
Part Number TY15380 316 318 322 332 420 430
Part Number TY15076 300 Series

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont need one right now so I can take my time looking. I know they are NOT easy to find. I might have a line on most of a cab for a 140. Not sure I could make that work or not? Maybe I can make my own?

I also tried the ski goggles but that was almost worse than nothing. Fogged up, iced up etc. Worthless.

Maybe I should just find another tractor with a cab and pull the cab off and sell the tractor!

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
In response to John's post I am offering a refinement:

• Part Number TY15380 ... open frame 3xx & 4xx tractors ... WEATHER ENCLOSURE MOTOR COVER, DOORS, REAR PANEL AND WINDOW (TY15380) (316, 318, 322, 330, 332, 420 AND 430 LAWN AND GARDEN TRACTORS) [01F17]
  • Part Number TY15076 ... Closed frame 300 Series ... WEATHER ENCLOSURE FRAME AND WINDSHIELD (TY15076) (300 TRACTOR, MFG. YEAR 1980-1990) [01F05]
  • Cozy cab which was an allied cab option not manufactured by Deere but endorsed to be used on Deere Products.
My experience with Deere manufactured cabs is the fender pan floor board drop is deeper on open frame tractors than on closed frame tractors so the front posts (cab corners) are longer than closed frame tractors. An open frame cab on a closed frame tractor will require either lift blocks under the cab or shorten the front posts for a level mount. Shortening the front post will of course reduce head room in the cab. The 420 cab I tried mounting on a 314 did not have adjustments for length of front post to make the cab sit level.

I personally have tried to make cabs work for blowing snow but just haven't found one for these early model tractors that I like. What works for me is my Dad told me there are 2 things you do not do into the wind. One of them is blow snow.

Gabby

Edit: I have a TY15380 that was mounted on a 430 for sale. I have replaced the vinyl in the cab door windows so asking more for the cab. I need $500 and I am still loosing money but need the space.

Searched for 1000 miles from Waterloo, Ia as the center of the search.
Found 1 : John Deere Tractor Cab - 200 and 300 Series
https://albany.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=John+deere+316+Cab&sort=date&searchNearby=2&nearbyArea=451&nearbyArea=249&nearbyArea=686&nearbyArea=3&nearbyArea=338&nearbyArea=93&nearbyArea=173&nearbyArea=354&nearbyArea=250&nearbyArea=168
Canaan, NY 350.00 It is located 700 miles from Grand Rapids - Good Luck, Hard to come by this time of year.

Weather Enclosure Part Numbers for John Deere 316:
Part Number TY15380 316 318 322 332 420 430
Part Number TY15076 300 Series

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Seems to be the best way to find one.

I've been doing some research on Google and other forums. It looks like a few guys have built cabs from wood. Some of them actually look really nice. I have basically a full woodshop at home so maybe I'll go that route. With the correct bracing and build technique it should be plenty strong.

I stole this pic from another forum. Looks good to me.

Attachments

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was thinking the same thing about the hinges. I'm still considering my options. Hopefully I will hear back about the cab I found. I'm not sure how complete it is but the main frame is there.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I waited years to find this cab: https://photos.app.goo.gl/RzDNN4Rdy6rZmUtJ6 I found it on ebay and bought it from a guy in Wisconsin and I live in Connecticut. He was nice enough to put it on a pallet and take it to a Fastenall store. It showed up at my local Fastenall about a week later and the shipping was about $250 if I remember. I couldn't be happier with it. Keep looking, you'll find one but it will come at a premium if at all during the winter months. I bought mine last spring. Here it is on the pallet: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Sv36yiXdpSEiScCS9

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a TY15380 cab that I was in the process of rehabbing when I bought a pickup truck with a plow. Now I only use the 318 with blower for cleanup after plowing, so I can wait until its calm and get less snow blown back on me. I still want to finish the cab but not sure I'll mount it. I won't want it on for most of the year and the 100 other uses for the tractor. I'd like to hear from folks out there who have cabs: do you take them off for summer? is it simple? or do you take the doors off, the windshield out and just leave the frame on for summer? I'll admit it would be really nice to have the cab when I'm blowing snow, but putting up with some "dander" seems easier than dealing with taking the cab on and off.

·
Registered
60 Posts
IMO, a cab is an attachment that makes doing work easier. I have an early model JD soft side cab on my 332. The front vinyl is trimmed to fit a 140 hood and there is a big gap between the bottom of the doors and the fender pan. The 332 pulls air over the radiator from below the steering wheel, so there is plenty of fresh (cold) air flow keeping the front glass clear. My yard has swirling wind around house and garage, so the cab is a well worth having. Mine hangs from the ceiling when the snowblower comes off.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Seems to be the best way to find one.

I've been doing some research on Google and other forums. It looks like a few guys have built cabs from wood. Some of them actually look really nice. I have basically a full woodshop at home so maybe I'll go that route. With the correct bracing and build technique it should be plenty strong.

I stole this pic from another forum. Looks good to me.
Can be done. That frame looks like a good start. I wanted a cab for years... blowing snow in -20 wind chill is NOT fun. Thought about building one from scratch, but just never did. Found a JD cab frame from a 216 for a hundred $, No soft panels or doors. Fabbed up wood doors, framed and plywood on both sides, glued and screwed; used storm door panes for glass on the sides. Glass front window and plastic rear window came with cab frame. Had to extend the front legs a few inches to mount relatively level, and boxed in the front with wood .... mostly pine 1x2 and 1/8" plywood. It's on a Sears SS16 -- - blew slush with it last week, and it was so warm I had to open my jacket... pleny of room to operate controls and steer. Some guys have mounted 12v fans for defogging, but I had no problem. Wiper was nice to have, too. Found a 320 with a factory JD cab ...soft side, door, and apron: NICE. Can't wait to get it out in the snow! Sorry about the sideways images, my bad... looked OK when selected. :-(

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
I waited years to find this cab: https://photos.app.goo.gl/RzDNN4Rdy6rZmUtJ6 I found it on ebay and bought it from a guy in Wisconsin and I live in Connecticut. He was nice enough to put it on a pallet and take it to a Fastenall store. It showed up at my local Fastenall about a week later and the shipping was about $250 if I remember. I couldn't be happier with it. Keep looking, you'll find one but it will come at a premium if at all during the winter months. I bought mine last spring. Here it is on the pallet: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Sv36yiXdpSEiScCS9
That Cozy is a NICE cab!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Took me 15 years. But she is close to where I want her. This year she got a new motor. New paint and the cab I have always wanted. The cab has radio with blue tooth. Back up camera heater is to be delivered tomorrow...strobe lights new led tail lights and headlights

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bob Smo: Nice! I'm still trying to figure out why it took me 20 yrs to wake up and get a cab! Back up camera, too. Great idea! I'm 72...head doesn't swivel as well as it used to!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts