Weekend Freedom Machines banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Can be done. That frame looks like a good start. I wanted a cab for years... blowing snow in -20 wind chill is NOT fun. Thought about building one from scratch, but just never did. Found a JD cab frame from a 216 for a hundred $, No soft panels or doors. Fabbed up wood doors, framed and plywood on both sides, glued and screwed; used storm door panes for glass on the sides. Glass front window and plastic rear window came with cab frame. Had to extend the front legs a few inches to mount relatively level, and boxed in the front with wood .... mostly pine 1x2 and 1/8" plywood. It's on a Sears SS16 -- - blew slush with it last week, and it was so warm I had to open my jacket... pleny of room to operate controls and steer. Some guys have mounted 12v fans for defogging, but I had no problem. Wiper was nice to have, too. Found a 320 with a factory JD cab ...soft side, door, and apron: NICE. Can't wait to get it out in the snow! Sorry about the sideways images, my bad... looked OK when selected. :-([/QUOTE]

I believe that is exactly what I'll do if I get the cab I found. I dont think it has any doors so I'll build them. Shouldn't be too hard. Yours looks great!

·
Registered
8 Posts
As far as fogging on mine I have the slider back window I open it about an inch and haven’t had any fogging. I do have a new heater on order and I am hoping I will be pushing snow in my shorts. LoL

·
Registered
7 Posts
Can be done. That frame looks like a good start. I wanted a cab for years... blowing snow in -20 wind chill is NOT fun. Thought about building one from scratch, but just never did. Found a JD cab frame from a 216 for a hundred $, No soft panels or doors. Fabbed up wood doors, framed and plywood on both sides, glued and screwed; used storm door panes for glass on the sides. Glass front window and plastic rear window came with cab frame. Had to extend the front legs a few inches to mount relatively level, and boxed in the front with wood .... mostly pine 1x2 and 1/8" plywood. It's on a Sears SS16 -- - blew slush with it last week, and it was so warm I had to open my jacket... pleny of room to operate controls and steer. Some guys have mounted 12v fans for defogging, but I had no problem. Wiper was nice to have, too. Found a 320 with a factory JD cab ...soft side, door, and apron: NICE. Can't wait to get it out in the snow! Sorry about the sideways images, my bad... looked OK when selected. :-(
Thanks ... was lots of work and fun, but worth it. Lot's of trial fittings and trimmings, and I'd do it better next time. Will be nice to see it finish painted next summer. :)

I believe that is exactly what I'll do if I get the cab I found. I dont think it has any doors so I'll build them. Shouldn't be too hard. Yours looks great![/QUOTE]

·
Registered
7 Posts
As far as fogging on mine I have the slider back window I open it about an inch and haven’t had any fogging. I do have a new heater on order and I am hoping I will be pushing snow in my shorts. LoL
No slider on either of mine, but as warm as it gets, an openable window would be a blessing. I'll install my fan if I have fogging problems. :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
https://undertheweatherpods.com/

I was looking at these today and contemplating a 'soft' cab. Fiberglass poles and that clear vinyl that can be bought pretty cheap at the fabric store.

my first thought was just to whip up a frame from thin wall 1" square tube and use corrugated poly sheet with vinyl windows but this might be even easier

the way my property is situated the area where i have to pile up all the snow, happens to be the 'into the wind' side of the driveway. I can get the thrower to blow it over there but half of it ends up in my lap.

·
Registered
113 Posts
There is a cab for a 316/318 in Kalkaska, MI on CL for $350, looks like a cozy cab in fair shape. If you are interested and cant find it I can send you a link.

·
Registered
716 Posts
There is a cab for a 316/318 in Kalkaska, MI on CL for $350, looks like a cozy cab in fair shape. If you are interested and cant find it I can send you a link.
It looks to be a 100 series cab that has been cut to fit a 300.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I must not be looking out far enough, my search is set at 150 miles out. Gonna have to look further.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
As everyone has noted, these cabs are available but it takes time to find them stand alone. I ended up buying an entire 318 setup with blown engine just to get a very nice all metal and glass cozy cab to mount on my 322. I ended up selling many of the components I didn't need. It covered the cost of the entire kit and my travel. 16 hrs. Plus i kept a very nice and expensive cab.

Keeping the windows clear can be tough in an air cooled tractor. A fan helps. A small electric heater of 120watts (10amps) with a fan running will provide just enough heating to keep the windows clear. You will not be sweating to death but it can help. You will need to block off the pedastol vents so the engine doesn't suck what little heat you have out.

Some people have setup an auxilary alternator off the rear PTO to run larger heaters and extra lights. Maybe a couple deep cell batteries as rear ballast providing supplemental power to an electric heater for short (maybe 30min, you would need to do some math depending on the setup) periods of operation. I usually see several here in New England every year but they may be to far for you.

Note: amperage is limited to 20 or less on these tractors,so power is limited.

·
Registered
141 Posts
For anyone in the upper midwest still looking, there is a fellow on eau claire, wi craigslist with a JD brand cab 140/200/300 listed in "ATV/Snowmobiles" section. he wants 275. in Osseo, WI

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Is 275 a typo. I see $375.

·
Registered
141 Posts
^ ope my bad, sorry about that.

yeah i usually wouldn't post up a CL find but since it was hidden in 'snowmobiles' i thought it might be worth mentioning here. i was searching 'john deere' in snowmobiles and it popped up

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Going to look at the cab at my buddy's place tonight. Does anyone know where or if they have a serial number so I can try to figure out what its supposed to fit? Any other way to tell what they fit?

·
Registered
716 Posts
I think there is a model tag on the inside someplace.
Not sure about the 300 series cabs but the model 14 is for the 140. Model 10-12 is for the 110 and 112s. Model 10cc for the round fenders.
I'm still thinking about going to look at that one in Kalkaska for my 112.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Ok thanks! I'll look on the inside for a tag. It's been so warm I kinda forgot about looking for one until he told me its finally available. I'll take some pics tonight.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts