Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1989 318
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just brought home a 316K w/model 49 snowblower. I stumbled upon the tractor while picking up used shipping boxes from someone close by. Yeah, that is how it works. The tractor was sitting out in the side yard all by it's lonesome when I pulled up to get the boxes. I said to myself 'Oh sh*t', it looks like I need to take that home with me. So, I picked up the boxes, we talked about the tractor, guy says I can have it and the blower and he did not have a price. I mulled it over a couple days and went back to look at it. It was not running at the time but it looked pretty intact. Broken spring on the deck idler pulley, lot's of oil on the front of the tractor, grass clippings, etc. The snowblower looked very good, I made him an offer, he accepted on the spot and even took a check (as opposed to cash). So I got it home yesterday and moved into garage today. Battery was toast so I moved one from one of my other tractors. Cranked well but did not fire so I used Carb Cleaner and it fired up and ran for a moment. Shook like a 16hp Kohler. Then it would not start again. The switch going to the Hydro lever was disconnected and the Purple wires jumped together. Those wires had come apart. The hydro linkage is very sloppy, that's why the switch was bypassed. So now I look at the ignition switch, it is ugly. When I pulled it out one of the terminals came out. Tomorrow I will get a new switch. But you know what? This is what we do, I just can't wait to see what else is wrong! It was low on oil so I topped that off. Oh, and a cool factor, it has the metal hydraulic port covers with chains out front. I was bummed when I got a 318 and it did not have the same type covers, I think those are the cat's meow. That's it for today, saga continues tomorrow, then we take a break for the holidays. Cheers, Tom

P.S. Neither of these pics are any good, one with flash , one without, I will post better ones tomorrow.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Plant Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tree

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Great start Tom.

Condition of the tractor determines the order of repair process. Mine did not have an engine so I just started at the front and worked my way rearward. Yours did run so your process began with getting it running. Same I need to do with the 318 I got with the 44 loader. I will be following along with you. Nice looking model 49. Typically that goes for $500 itself ... Gabby

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Nice snag! Probably won't take much to get that old Deere running. Keep us posted on your progress.
Happy Thanksgiving!

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Nice find Tom! That'll fit in nicely with your closed frame 300. Bob

·
Registered
811 Posts
The tractor and the blower look pretty nice, good you grabbed them before the elements took their toll.

Great find on the tall chute blower.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Lucky you Tom. But I guess that really depends on what that offer was. And I bet you ain't tellin...

Reactions: gj.duganx

·
Registered
1989 318
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had to make the offer high enough so as to not insult the guy. I bought it as 'non-running' which it was. The motor did not sound good in the little bit of time that it ran. The front of the thing is an oily mess. I am headed to the garden store right now to pick up a new ignition switch.

Reactions: jetjoe

·
Registered
6,086 Posts
Ignition switch on these closed frame tractors have always been a issue with me. The one on my 316K looks like it was replaced. Tractor had that "regularly serviced" appearance. Check the harness connector. Often I find the connector melted. The plastic connector is available from Deere dealer.

Reactions: gj.duganx

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Ok don’t forget to show those metal hydro port covers in these new pics. I have never seen metal covers.

·
Registered
271 Posts
SWEET!
Unless you are planning on using it for snow removal this year I would consider this. Kohler 16hp K341 master rebuild kit w/valves, standard rings and rod w/tune up | eBay . These engines are simple, easy to fix and last forever. Heck I have done a "freshen-up" in a weekend and stopped oil leaks and oil usage. They sell wiring kits too for the key switch (I can't remember where and can't find it now) I got one for my 300 for $16.
I just bought the upgrade ignition kit from D Kirks small engines. Kirk Engines, Inc. >> Garden Tractor Performance Parts
Just wondering if this is an H2 tractor? I have never seen a 316K in person. I have read they are the replacement for my 300 H2 16hp Kohler.
Good luck with it!

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
SWEET!
Unless you are planning on using it for snow removal this year I would consider this. Kohler 16hp K341 master rebuild kit w/valves, standard rings and rod w/tune up | eBay . These engines are simple, easy to fix and last forever. Heck I have done a "freshen-up" in a weekend and stopped oil leaks and oil usage. They sell wiring kits too for the key switch (I can't remember where and can't find it now) I got one for my 300 for $16.
I just bought the upgrade ignition kit from D Kirks small engines. Kirk Engines, Inc. >> Garden Tractor Performance Parts
Just wondering if this is an H2 tractor? I have never seen a 316K in person. I have read they are the replacement for my 300 H2 16hp Kohler.
Good luck with it!
I'm going to assume the 316K is a factory H2 per Gabby's thread on the one he got for free in Chicago. Man what a nice deal.

·
Registered
559 Posts
SWEET!
Good luck with it!
They are a H2, they are basically a re-badged 300.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Ignition switch on these closed frame tractors have always been a issue with me. The one on my 316K looks like it was replaced. Tractor had that "regularly serviced" appearance. Check the harness connector. Often I find the connector melted. The plastic connector is available from Deere dealer.
OK, I have to ask? Why did you separate out the switch on closed frame tractors? They're all virtually the same with the only difference being the type of ignition. Just curious.

A note about those connector "repair kits". Those offered with wires are basically a new connector with wire leads already installed saving you the trouble of repinning the wire. But you end up with yet another butt splice in each wire. So now you have two questionable connections in an already troublesome circuit. I have found these pins on eBay (I know) for a reasonable price. I would recommend buying and repinning the existing wires over butt splices which can only lead to more problems in the future.

or search "Aptiv Delfi flat"

·
Registered
1989 318
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am intimitely familiar with replacing pins/sockets in connectors, almost all connectors are repairable. You can buy the individual pins/sockets from electrical supply places such as Digi-Key or Mouser. The big trick is learning how to release the pin in the housing.

·
Registered
1989 318
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Delphi connector for the ignition switch uses a little 'tab' on the terminal as a locking device, you use a small flat-blade screwdriver to release that tab.

Reactions: TiredDeere210

·
Registered
1989 318
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mopar man - thanks for the tip on the motor rebuild kit, a rebuild may be in store. I will most likely put the 49 blower on my 318. I would hate to go back to manual steering once getting used the the 318!

Here's a pic of the front hyd ports.

Tire Wheel Grille Automotive tire Hood

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Oh ok nothing out of the norm other than the chain is looking rust free. I thought the rubber caps were metal. A year or so ago I could have bought new metal chain with rubber plugs like that at the local industrial farm supply house when they were in stock. Looks like those things may be a thing of the past now as all that are available are the rubberized 100% plastic caps. Well this is at this place anyway. I have not done any extensive research to confirm my suspicion.

Reactions: mopar65pa

·
Registered
1989 318
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I replaced all four front ports on my 318 last year and when I looked for caps with chains I found nothing so ended up with some like this.

Product Tool Font Line Material property

·
Registered
811 Posts
Oh ok nothing out of the norm other than the chain is looking rust free. I thought the rubber caps were metal. A year or so ago I could have bought new metal chain with rubber plugs like that at the local industrial farm supply house when they were in stock. Looks like those things may be a thing of the past now as all that are available are the rubberized 100% plastic caps. Well this is at this place anyway. I have not done any extensive research to confirm my suspicion.
I think Hapco has or had them at one time. Prepare for a little $ shock compared to the new $3 rubber ones. (I like the newer ones since you can color code the ports)

ETA: just looked, they are out of stock, and $32 a pair or $19 for a single.

Reactions: N2 Tractors
1 - 20 of 63 Posts