Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping go get the engine messed with today, so figured I should ask what y’all would do for replacing the battery cables. The positive is a homemade affair that’s junk, the negative is unusable, and the negative off of a parts machine is not ideal (and the negative is a Y cable that hooks to the engine and frame is is somewhat unconventional. So, what would you guys recommend for replacing them? I think NAPA makes up new ones so that’s my current plan, but am wondering what other options there are (besides the $80-90 Deere wants).
Thanks.

Reactions: mopar65pa

·
Registered
1989 318
2,671 Posts
I get mine at the local farm store, Farm & Fleet, or auto parts stores.

Reactions: DEERE317

·
Registered
482 Posts
I buy those packaged wires already made up. You could buy a ground cable, run it to the motor and run a “woven” ground strap from the engine to the frame.
Body jewelry Font Jewellery Metal Auto part

Reactions: GardenTractorGalore

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So doing some Amazon shopping in case I can’t go by NAPA, I’ve found a set of 2 gauge and 4 gauge cables. The 4awg set would have a lead for hooking onto the tractor frame and the 2awg set would need a ground strap but is heavier/more efficient for conducting power (which the starter loves to use lol) and has covers included (but I do have/can get a free one from my 110 battery hood down kit for the positive terminal with the 4awg ones)
What I’m currently looking at, need to check lengths though.
4awg:
2awg:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts