Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All -

I just got my 49 Snow Blower on my 317. It seems when I engage the PTO switch, it kills the engine. Not because it's tight, but like I'm pressing a kill switch. What does this mean? It seems like this happened to me before, and I can't for the life of me remember what I did to fix it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
-Chris

·
Banned
13 Posts
Chris,

A few thoughts that come to mind are...

1. Is the PTO locking up?
2. Is the wiring grounding out?

If the motor is choking down then it would be something placing a strain on the motor. But if it acts like you just turned the key off then it's most likely something grounding out, flipping a breaker somewhere and kill the power (electricity).

Just a few thoughts..

JJ

·
Registered
103 Posts
Chris
One more thing I had happen on my 317 is the soldered connections on the back of the ignition switch had a small amount of corrosion on one terminal. I could start it up with no problem but it would stop as soon as I engaged the PTO.

Roman

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
Hi Chris,
Both Johnny and Roman correctly point out that shorted/pinched wires and the key switch/switch harness are common problems. The seat switch, seat switch connector or a break in the pink seat switch wire sounds real likely. If you rule out all of these possibilities, it could be a shorted pto coil. As a first check there, remove the grille and disconnect the pto coil (single wire connector on the tractor left side). If the tractor now runs OK with the pto switch engaged, it may be the coil, although there are other things to check before spending money on a new coil. Please let us know, and good luck.
Harold

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh my!

I feel like and idiot! I was "Testing" the installation, but I was not sitting in the seat!!! Doh! thanks for all the suggestions guys! They will be dooly noted for the next clutch issue!

Thanks,
-Chris

·
Registered
19 Posts
Bought a non running 320,had no spark and turned out to be a bad igniter module. After I got it running I noticed oil smoke everywhere and traced it to the valve covers. When replacing the gaskets I could see the plastic covers had melted one corner by the exhaust so I switched side to side so melted area was up and less likely to leak.Changed oil and mowed 30 minutes then it acted like it was losing power so I stopped,then it acted like it was pinging and blue smoke everywhere. I shut it down to idle and can see the valve covers are starting to leak and melt again. Is this thing saveable or am I wasting my time?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Not that I can tell.Should the temp light prove out on starts? I felt the radiator and it did not seem too hot,will bring a tester home from work. I heard exhaust guides can come loose,could that be possible?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well I found all the coolant gone! Refilled with a gallon of water and saw it leaking out the water pump or hose or both. So I must have had it pretty hot because it melted the plastic valve covers again.Also leaking oil at sender now. I'm afraid I got it too hot but it starts and runs with a little smoke at first.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.