Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
3,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title asks, what all was changed with the Onan conversion on the 317 in terms of fender deck mounting? I believe that they added rubber isolators under the rear of it to help compensate for the removal of the motor mounts, but what was done on the front of the pan? Did it gain isolators or did it stay hard mounted? Need to replace a missing rear bolt and am considering switching over to isolators. I believe that the rear ones, M73249 cross to McMaster Carr 7213K29, but could anyone confirm that for me as JD Parts doesn’t show dimensions on that PN?

· Premium Member
1,340 Posts
Use of rubber pan isolators in the JD 317 did not track with Onan conversions. Rather, the isolators were used in early JD 317's before serial number 155000 (1979 and 1980 models). For some reason the isolators were eliminated with the 1981 model, and the rear fender pan steel supports were lengthened 3/4". An isolator can be added to the late model tractors, but the hydro release knob may bump the raised fender pan, unless a longer screw is added to the hydro release assembly. Likewise, if the isolators are missing from early model tractors, the fender pan will set deeper and press on the fuel tank (not good). The isolators have 5/16" threads, and are 3/4" thick, and 1-1/4" in diameter. To my knowledge, no isolators were used on the front of the fender pan.
Harold

· Registered
3,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Use of rubber pan isolators in the JD 317 did not track with Onan conversions. Rather, the isolators were used in early JD 317's before serial number 155000 (1979 and 1980 models). For some reason the isolators were eliminated with the 1981 model, and the rear fender pan steel supports were lengthened 3/4". An isolator can be added to the late model tractors, but the hydro release knob may bump the raised fender pan, unless a longer screw is added to the hydro release assembly. Likewise, if the isolators are missing from early model tractors, the fender pan will set deeper and press on the fuel tank (not good). The isolators have 5/16" threads, and are 3/4" thick, and 1-1/4" in diameter. To my knowledge, no isolators were used on the front of the fender pan.
Harold
Thanks for the info

1 - 3 of 3 Posts