Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I;ve allways heard no question is a dumb question but this is a Lazy question because I dont feel like crawling under my tractor . :)
Where is the gas filter on my 317 ??? Series 1

·
Banned
59 Posts
Hi Lou,

The fuel filter on the 317 is inside of the gas tank. It is more of a screen then a filter. You have to pull the fenderdeck, then pull the gas tank. The filter/screen is part of the shut off valve that goes into the tank. It is a bit of a pain to pull off and once you do, the only servicing is to clean it or replace it if needed.

Joe

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
T hanks Joe. I just had the tank off this past summer , never gave it a second thought. I looked up JD parts and they listed an in line universal filter. If the tractor doesn't come with a filter in the line if one is added I wonder if it will restrict some gas flow.
Lou

·
Banned
59 Posts
Hey Lou,

You got me to look at the Parts Manual. Unless I am missing something the only inline fuel filter shown is for 317's that have the Onan P218 engine. I think that is what is causing the confusion. The 317's with Kohlers do not have in line filters. All 317s do have the same shut-off valve, which is also the same valve used on the 200 series which have the screen on them.

I am not sure how much resistance you can go up to with a filter before it causes problems. I can tell you that unless you have a real problem with dirty gas the oem solution works fine.

Joe

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi Lou

My 317 had the "universal filter" on it when I bought it and I am sure glad it did. When I did the restore on it I found that the screen at the bottom of the pick-up had a good sized hole in it. The rest of it was plugged it with cr_p. So if there had not been an inline filter then all of that would have been in the carb. Don't know about resistance, but all I can tell you is that it runs like a DEERE and I have no problems with it at all. You may want to think about just using a screen as a filter, even if it is oem.
But thats only my two bits.

·
Banned
331 Posts
lou a in line filter is not going to cause any resistance.I would just take the screen out of the tank and use a inline and put on some where its easily accessible.if you leave the screen in the tank and put a in line one on you still could have a chance of the screen in the tank getting something in it.then you got to take that all back apart again.if the shut off valve looks rusty or looks original i would repalce it and just put a in line in.I did this on a 212 before and worked great.brad

·
Registered
571 Posts
Lou,

The only time the inline filter causes any resistance is when it it is plugged. I have a 317 Kohler with an inline filter and have never had a fuel problem.

I don't use the little JD filters. I get a larger clear filter. In addition to trapping dirt, the filter will catch water in the gas. With the clear filter you should change it when it looks bad, not just once a year.

Just my opinion,

George of Buford

·
Banned
83 Posts
Anyone selling parts will have it. Used from lawn tractors to trucks. On your onan, a good place is between fuel pump and carb as the pressure is higher.I always install a plastic
shut-off valve in that line also. If the tractor is not going to be used a couple of weeks, I shut the gas off and let the engine die after it has used gas in carb. Just one way.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Joseph,

I bought it at Ace Hardware but you should be able to get it at NAPA. It is not a special order since it is a commonly used filter. All you need is a filter for 1/4 gas line.

The JD AM116304 is OK but I believe that bigger is better (So does my wife) when it comes to gas filters. I routinely pull the bottom hose and drain out the WATER and junk. I don't have a part number but check the picture for approximately what it looks like.

George of Buford

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thats a pretty bad screen Herm. Makes me want to pull the tank first thing and check or remove the screen. Gonna put that new filter I have in tomorrow and change the screen. Thanks for all the help guys.

·
Banned
70 Posts
Lou - I would be interested in knowing if you have any success replacing the screen on the fuel shutoff valve in the tank - the one I pulled out was not replaceable and the entire unit had to be purchased from JD (not cheap)!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Question concerning a neighbor's 345. Forward and reverse peddles are really hard to push/engage and tractor moves really slow. 600+ hours and hydro never been serviced (duh??). Thought I would change the hydro fluid and filters for him - but thought I would check here before spending his money to see if anyone else has run into this problem.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

Mark

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Mark

I read this on the other forum but didn't really have anything to help you with.I will share a couple "in theory" thoughts that may or may not help you.
If the peddles are hard to press I would think it would be a problem with the belt,or idler pulley for the belt.
Not exactly sure how the system works.I have a GX345 and took a quick look underneath,There are a couple idler pulleys under there.
If there is something wrong inside the transmission I doubt a fluid service would help it any.
I would take the deck off,jack it up and put it on jack stands so you can slide underneath with plenty of room.LOL,Some of us need more room than others.
Then have someone attempt to press the peddles from up top and see what is going on.
Sorry I couldn't be of better help.Good luck.

AJ

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.