Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - running a snowblower on the front of my 317, but the hydraulic lift only goes in one direction. If the hoses are connected one way the snowblower goes all the way down, if the other way all the way up. The lever does nothing. I've not worked on the hydraulics at all on this tractor. Hydraulic fluid level looks good in the transmission. When I disconnect the hoses there is transmission fluid on the ball valve of both hoses.
Incidentally the mower deck goes up and down just fine - it uses the other lever so I presume it's on the other hydraulic circuit.
Any ideas?
Thanks!

·
Registered
502 Posts
did you try using both sets of hydraulic outlets?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The hoses wouldn't reach across to the left-side (from the driver's seat) outlets. I tried to connect them, but the outer rubber started to crack. They are pretty stiff.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Isaac - what would it tell me if the other outlets worked? Is there something I can check by taking off the fender pan? Thanks.

·
Registered
502 Posts
i dont know much about hydraulics but i can give you some ideas. if you switch the hoses, and all it does is go one way or another, there is hydraulic fluid going to one side of the piston in the hydraulic cylinder but when you go to move the blower the other direction, you arent getting fluid to the other side of the piston in the hydraulic cylinder. have you checked the linkage that goes from the hydraulic lever to the control valve? maybe there is too much slop and the lever is only allowing it to be pushed in or pulled out therefore only allowing you to do one action. either lift or lower. or maybe one of the hydraulic lines has a hole in it allowing a leak causing no pressure to one side of the hydraulic cylinder to return it therefore only leaving you at one action, to either raise or lower. check for any hydraulic fluid underneath the engine as the lines for the outlets run along side the frame on the inside underneath the engine.
once again, i dont know much about hydraulics but those are just some possible ideas.

Reactions: AndyY

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
Andy,
I am not sure there is a problem here. The 49 blower is not designed to have downward pressure from the hydraulics, if this is what you are expecting. The 317 implement control valve (inner lever) has a detent (when pushed completely forward) to allow the front implement to "float". Pushing the lever slightly forward does give hydraulic pressure before the detent is engaged, and this allows downward pressure on a front blade. However, the cylinder/frame linkage on the 49 blower is slotted so the pin rides in the slot precluding downward pressure.
Harold

In edit: Maybe I am not understanding your description. A pin or ball may be stuck in one of the connectors. Use a dowel rod or other soft tool to push in the pin or ball on the tractor quick connectors (tractor is shut off), and also on the hose connectors. Reconnect and try again.

Reactions: AndyY

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks - jdalchemist. I'll take a look. Checking the ball in the hoses is something I can do quickly.
By the way, if the hoses are one way round the snowblower doesn't lift at all. If the hoses are the other way the blower lifts as soon as I turn on the engine. In both cases the lever has no discernible affect.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Thanks - jdalchemist. I'll take a look. Checking the ball in the hoses is something I can do quickly.
By the way, if the hoses are one way round the snowblower doesn't lift at all. If the hoses are the other way the blower lifts as soon as I turn on the engine. In both cases the lever has no discernible affect.
Does the lever move? If so - unhook the snow blower and slide it so the hoses will reach the other set of connectors. (at least you don't have to remove the seat pan) try the other lever - does the snowblower move? If so - buy new longer hoses.

·
Premium Member
1,140 Posts
OK. With that info, it would seem that a spool in the implement control valve is stuck open, and/or the lever linkage is loose as Isaac suggested. The spool action can be seen from under the tractor as the lever is moved (tractor shut off). Remove the belly screen if it is there, and have a buddy or family member move the inner lever (better yet, put the buddy under the tractor and you move the lever). The shiny end of the spool should move in and out of the block 3/8" or so as the lever is moved. If the spool is stuck, spray on some penetrating oil and tap lightly using that dowel rod or pull on the end (not the shiny part) with pliers. Once it moves, exercise many cycles and then start the tractor and give it a try. If you can move the spool end directly, but the lever has no effect, it is likely the shaft going through the lever end has the key stripped out.
Harold

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
move the lever back n forth about 100 times. that could free the spool up

I have to do this on my 420 when it sits for 8 months

1 - 10 of 10 Posts