Weekend Freedom Machines banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
From what I've seen which ain't much is that from the looks of it this cylinder was used on multiple kits and there would be different "adapters" that would bolt into the front of the cylinder. That seems to be the case on the Yanmar cylinder here and these papers are the parts diagram for the brantly cylinder. But I could be way off.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
I can agree with that. I have 2 kits on the shelf in the garage. Need to see if there is some kind of ID on the cylinder.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
On my cylinder there was a bunch of 0s followed by 16 and on the back on the (control valve?) there is MOD-1331 or M0D-1331 if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
327 Posts
The wear to the steering cylinder bracket needs to be welded and resized to reduce looseness. Joe, the seals are not oil seals so do not think that is a solution ... Gabby
I aware of the seals on the steering. I was thinking of a heavy open gear oil that is really thin grease. I've seen it used in open gears and it does no coagulate as grease does. I think it would be worth the try even with the pad like "gasket" they use on these gear boxes. There must be something that works better than grease. Which is useless after a few uses.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
You mean like the "cornhead grease" used in model 49 gearbox?

Might work but I think it would make a huge mess. My opinion of course.

·
Registered
327 Posts
You mean like the "cornhead grease" used in model 49 gearbox?

Might work but I think it would make a huge mess. My opinion of course.
To be honest, when I was closer to the stuff, back in the 60's working in a paper plant, it was used and referred to as open gear oil. Made by Mobile as all the different oils and greases we used back then. It took days to bleed off a gear that was motionless. But was formulated not to fly all over the machine when running. They also had another product referred to as "open gear grease" that was much thicker and didn't flow at all. But stuck tenaciously. I have no idea the specs or Mobil numbers for each. But I'm quite sure the spongy gasket in the boxes would hold that oil in. Yet it would flow to lube the screw and pin.

I'm really just thinking out loud with this thinking there has to be a solution. So far all the mods I have made to the 317 are working out well, but I did skip over that steering gear which I now regret. It was my intentions to improve every negative thing ever written about a 317.

The 400 power steering works great but does bind up in the gear box every so often. I never noticed that at the time. I opened up a spare I had and as with every other I've opened the screw and pin were as dry as a bone and the grease stiff and coagulated nowhere near the wear areas. Yet plenty of grease oozing out through the side from over-greasing.

I intend to look further into this but as mentioned above, too busy right now. It'll have to wait until I'm once again bored. About March I guess.

Reactions: gabby_in_wis
21 - 26 of 26 Posts