Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, We just got our new series 2 317 engine in yesterday it suffered a little damage in shipping. It wasn't enough to send it back it was mostly to the sheet metal. Got a better deal on it because the damage. I still have a few thing to do before it gets installed but should not be to long.

Should run really good with the new kt17 kohler in it..

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Jim, maybe you can post where you got the remote oil filter kit. Some of the guys have been asking me where I got mine, but it was bits and pieces from other members.
Looking good. Brings back memories of when I got mine.
Roy

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Roy, I wish I could tell everyone here were to find the oil filter kit, but I bought that engine fully dressed like that with the pto,new wiring harness, carb,all the sheet metal, filter kit,new drive shaft,even a hour meter/tach. I got it from a guy that I believe had a lawn design firm that got talked into restoring the shop 317 then got tired of it before he ever used it. So its a new engine just not from the factory.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jeff, You have a good eye. I believe its going to be a great engine but as I said earlier it did take some damage on a big Brown truck, mostly the sheet metal but turned out better the old sheet metal shroud had a hole in it for the air intake tube to the carb the new one didn't so probably would have used it anyway. The coil was broken but the seller is sending a new one. The worst was a flange on the carb broke but I used the old one, should be fine, worked out to be a little cheaper that way.

That is a picture of the air inlet tube.. This mower and the 318 will be the workers when done and will retire the 112, now he can relax with the 110, 140, and 300.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Installed the engine after repairing and replacing all the damaged parts and filled it with oil. After trying to crank it several times to prime the fuel pump we noticed oil leaking out under the right hand side.
I envisioned a cracked crank case due to the beating the motor mounts took. This morning we pulled the engine back out and thankfully discovered the oil was coming out around the oil filter adaptor at the bottom of the block. Turned out it was loose. Applied some RTV sealant to the gasket and screwed it back on. Refilled with oil and so far so good. Spent the rest of the day replacing the old motor mounts, installing the tin and getting the engine back into place in the frame. Waiting on a coil to come now to replace the crushed one. Maybe will get it running first of next week.

In the post above I was incorrect. The filter and hoses look the same but the adaptor plate was totally different from the one pictured.

Jim

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I finally got the part that was leaking oil so hopefully we can get the engine back out part changed and back in today. The part that was leaking was the plate(part 5) the oil line go into for the remote filter kit it was cracked in the rough shipping. I did find the part numbers for the kit.
You need part 4,11,12,13,14,15,16,and 21 to make a relocation kit for a magnum 18 or a kt17 series II for a 317.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We got the plate off and the fitting on the hose was bent and had a small crack in it an the plate looks to be ok what I thought was a crack in it looks to be a casting mark because its on the new one to so I'm going to get a new hose and try it with the old plate to see if I can save the $50 bucks by returning the new oil line plate.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Drew,
It shows 19 minutes right now this engine should last me forever, and it runs great. One day she will get a restore I might even have something up my sleeve for the color of this one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.