Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am looking for an opposed twin engine (onan, Briggs, Kohler) for my John Deere 317. I would like it to have a 1" shaft so I don't have to Buy a separate clutch but if the price is right, I'm okay with other shaft sizes. I would like it to be 17+ horsepower it would also be nice if the seller was somewhere within a few hours away from Madison Wisconsin so I can pick it up. Shoot me an Email me if you Have something along the lines of this.

Thank you:thumb:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Isaac, if u don't find an engine u are looking for here, scour the classifieds on CL, eBay, etc for Snapper GT 2000s, Craftsman IIs, and Ford GT17s. I believe all these models have Kohler m18s in them w/ 1" output shafts. The m18 is dimensionally the same as the kt17 u are trying to replace but w/ positive oil pressure and solid state ignition (no more points to fiddle with) . I just did this for the second time on my two 317s & bought a whole snapper for $150 w/ a great running m18 in it. Sold some other parts off of it and scrapped the rest and actually just about broke even. The swap can be done relatively eazily as the only modifications required are a new key switch. Rearranging wires in the mating connector, if memory serves. And slight modification to the right side motor mount to clear the oil filter. I had my mounts modified at a local fab shop for $30 I think but if you are adept at welding its very easy to do.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts