Weekend Freedom Machines banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Prior to the restoration project of my 317 it amazingly did not leak anything. Not a drop of oil from the engine and the transmission was dry as well. I think I got a little too aggressive on the transmission case with the hot water pressure washer and it now leaks from the round plug (looks similar to the freeze plug on an engine block).

I am referring to #11 in the diagram below. Has anyone ever replaced this plug? If it is truly similar to a freeze plug in an engine block I should be able to knock it out with a punch, clean the surfaces and install a new plug from the exterior, right? What I don't want to do is attempt to remove it if it is going to require opening the case to replace.

Here is the photo of my transmission for reference:

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update to my previous post...I talked to my favorite parts guy at Mother Deere and he confirmed this is an easily replaceable plug similar to that of a freeze plug in a block. Part is on order and I now have an excuse to blow the dust off my punch and chisel set.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Looks like it might need to be pressed in from the inside if it is anything like a freeze plug. If it were me I’d just clean it really good with brake cleaner or acetone etc then use a good RTV on it.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Besides being one of the cleaner tranaxles I've seen, your garage floor resembles a well lit operating room. I'm a little jealous. :D

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Wait a second, isn't that plug where the hydro oil filter is suppose to be?

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wait a second, isn't that plug where the hydro oil filter is suppose to be?
The filter is above this plug, just cropped out of the photo.

I am going to try the RTV route first. My goal is to have the engine back in and running this weekend. I am going to run it for a bit to cycle all the hydraulics after the system has been opened and then drain all the fluid. After it sits for a couple days after draining I will try this trick. Fingers crossed! If all goes well I won't need to use the $8 plug from John Deere anytime soon...
Besides being one of the cleaner transaxles I've seen, your garage floor resembles a well lit operating room. I'm a little jealous. :D
I think that is my problem...I cleaned the transaxle so good it leaks now! o_O

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Auto, Drain oil first, then wash with parts cleaner several times! Apply a small bead of rtv and try to push into opening around the edge of the plug. Any excess can be wiped off so it looks "purtty". Depending on type/brand of rtv and temperature, FULL cure time varies from 15 minutes to 24 hours! READ tube and allow for FULL cure. Refill after full cure and check for leaks. This is a non-pressure area, so no need to start tractor. Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts