Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good afternoon everyone,

I finally got the 317 off the hoist after replacing the faulty ignition module with help from Chuck. Now I have a new issue. The rear seal on the transmission appears to be leaking around the casing. It appears that the fan that attaches to shaft has been rubbing on the seal causing it to leak. I was hoping to get some help answering the following questions.

1) Where can I find a replacement seal? My local dealer hasn’t been able to source one for me yet.

2) I haven’t ventured into the transmission at all and I was wondering when I get in there should I be looking for or replacing anything while I have it all apart as well as any additional gaskets or seals that I will need for the project?

3) What would have caused the fan to be pulled into the casing? It appears that the shaft which the fan attaches to is being pulled forward causing it to rub and wear. Has anyone seen this before and know what might be causing it?

Jon

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update:
1) JD does stock the seals, and they are reasonably affordable.
2) To replace the seal you have to remove and disassemble the entire hydrostatic pump. If it was the front seal you can replace that while its in the machine. While I was in there I replaced the Input shaft bearing and all the O-rings.
3) The reason the input shaft was being pulled into the rear seal was due to the adapter that connects the drive shaft to the flywheel. When I was rebuilding the tractor it appears that it had been pressed in further than it should, and once the shaft was torqued to the flywheel it would pull the input shaft forward.

Big project but the tech manual had step by step instructions which made it a pretty easy job.

Jon

1 - 2 of 2 Posts