Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have two Brantly ps units. First is installed on my 317 and second will be installed on my 314.

Question on the 317 installation.

I replaced Ross gearbox with gearbox that was on same tractor as the ps unit. Gearbox was tight with minimal freeplay. I did not see a need to adjust or rebuild the gearbox. Check valve is installed. Other than tractor has smaller turning radius one direction than other the steering is functional.

Tractor has 1.00" axle spindles and front tires are 18X8.5-8.

My problem is excessive slop in neutral position.
  1. Part of the problem is approx .200" of clearance between the flat strip welded to front ram on steering cylinder and the mounting bracket. This I can fix when I have new brackets made to mount my Johnson loader.
  2. It also appears there is air in the steering cylinder. Is there a procedure for bleeding the steering system? I did not see a procedure in installation instructions.
  3. Also, can loose tie rods ends account for some of this looseness?
Thanks for supplied information ... Gabby

Attachments

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
loose tie rod on the ram side will make it sloppy as only one wheel turns

my 420 and 430 will turn tighter going left so you can mow around trees easier is my guess

make many turns left n right hard to remove the air

·
Premium Member
8,915 Posts
Gabby,

Steering slop in the open frame tractors like the 318 often comes in part from the axle stops being out of adjustment or the wear plates having become 'ramped' by wearing more at level attitude than when the axle is pivoted by an incline. I suspect that the 317 may be similar so look straight down on the axle from over the hood to see if the axle moves a bit before the spindles/kingpins start to pivot.

Purging the air from a 318's power steering and other hydraulics is done like this -- again it should work the same for your 317:

Chuck

Attachments

·
Registered
5,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tractor is in garage next door and I see this morning there is a spot under it so I need to check for a leak before I get excited about bleeding the system. That will also give me opportunity to make some measurements and sketch out new mounting brackets for loader. I want to keep rolling with loader installation but want steering correct first.

BTW Chuck, we have discussed how I have less clearance between rear 26" tires and the fender deck. My tires have tubes. I do not know tube size. That may explain difference in clearance. I need to get new wheels/tires coming because I need to make sure I have intended tires on tractor before mounting loader to make sure dig-below-ground is correct.

Thanks KnottyRope & Chuck.

·
Registered
5,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Torqued plumbing under 317 today and went through bleed procedure provided by Chuck. The procedure snugged up some things but there is still significant looseness when you rock the steering wheel left-right from neutral state. I shimmed up the clearance in the mounting bracket in hopes this would eliminate a major portion of the looseness. Didn't happen.

When you rock the steering wheel there seems to be rapid steering response at the pivot rod which exits through left side of frame. The front axle bushings and hardware were replaced when I had the spindles reworked and installed larger wheels. I don't see much movement at the pivot bushing or the spindles.

There is some looseness in the ball joint that connects drag link from cylinder to pivot bracket (see photo). The majority of the looseness seems to occur with the collar on the front of the steering cylinder. These cylinders are old parts and I am not having luck finding service information. Can anyone tell me if these cylinders are rebuildable to reduce/eliminate the looseness at this collar?

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hello
You have the same problem that early Mustangs have.
The Reaction valve socket is worn out,thus giving play in the ball stud area
This is were the input front the steering box meets the Hydro valve.
There should be some play and needs lots of lube regularly
Also there should be a preload adjustment that needs setting,but if things are wore out , adjusting will get one nowhere fast
Turns one way faster/better than the other ect
Eaton made this setup and has been around for a long time
Really not power steering but power assisted steering
I do not know ,maybe a mustang part make work also vetts had this set up to when they changed in 84
Hopes this helps
JW

·
Registered
5,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello James .... thank you for reply. I have ordered worn ball joint and should be able to pick it up Tuesday. I have two of these power steering units and both seem to abundance of looseness with this direction control sleeve. I know on one unit there is a grease zerk and a boss with what appears to be a set screw. I would like to find theory of operation and tech manual for this mechanism. Would I find this information in a Ford tech manual?

Can these be taken to a hydraulic shop for rebuild/repair?

Thanks again ... Gabby

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hello
Try Mustang monthly magazines web sight ,they have done stories on this before.
Compound Mustang trouble spot
Any Ford service manual from the 60's should have the info you need.
Fords had a brass/bronze sheave that one changed out ,during a rebuild.
Try National Parts Depot web sight ,should have a pic of the parts that the Mustangs used
I would think ;
A off the parts shelf control valve was used ,not something made just for them.
With the amount of units that would be sold
Just have to find which one
Good luck JW

·
Registered
5,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Installed new drag link ball joint today and adjusted the steering again. Again using square keystock to shim up the slop between cylinder and bracket I rocked the steering wheel to test for looseness. Looseness is now definitely in the tractor, not the steering cylinder.

I installed new pivot bushings when I converted to 1" spindles. There is still some looseness in that bushing. Did not replace cap screw. That will be next fix. Only other fix would be re-bushing the spindles.

Not fond of the low amount of effort required to steer tractor. The cylinder that will be installed on my 314 has a grease fitting in the flow control section of cylinder. Cylinder on 317 does not have this feature but there is a set screw with lock nut. Guess I'll need to play with that to see what it does just like a kid with a new toy.

James/Doug, I've looked over the information you supplied. What I am looking for may be too specific to Brantly. I'm searching for theory of operation and parts listing showing breakdown of the steering cylinder.

Does anyone know who supplied this cylinder setup to Brantly?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts