Weekend Freedom Machines banner
41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
To complete the story on 317 clutches and answer tommyhawk's about the 2 types being built the same. Here's the diagram for the Warner clutch:
Product Tire Automotive tire Font Rectangle

If you're wondering which clutch you have on your tractor before removing it, look at the position of the gap adjusting nuts. The Warner's are basically equally spaced and the Ogura has the lower 2 adjusting closer together, plus the Warner mounting plate is square and the Ogura tapers narrower on the bottom, starting about half way down. The plates shown are an accurate description.

Once apart, this differences are very obvious as the Warner does not have a removable rotor as shown as item #4 in Harold's post #35... because Harold's post is of an Ogura clutch!

When reassembling the Ogura pto, you need to pay attention to a few details! I have Ogura's on my 314, 317, and 322 and they're NOT exactly the same! First, look at spacer #6. Some have a small notch on one end, and some don't. If it has a notch, key #16 should stick out of rotor #4 about 1/8" or less. The notch in the spacer MUST engage on the key.

If any other questions, just ask! Bob

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
Indeed Tommyhawk and thanks to Harold (werent you also on GJ?), jetjoe and all for all your help!! Ill be working to remove it this weekdn agian.
I believe from your great descriptions it is an Ogura (tapers at bottom). So ill take it apart and test it and hope I can save it. If not then new , but I didnt see anyone mention a known source for these (or for replacments). XTREME Im guessing?
BTW - Im 59 and SO close to retirement I can feel it - Cant wait to just do my own thing every day!

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
Tom, thanks for the kind words, but much of what I know came from fellow WFM members like yourself. Here are pictures of ugly Warner and Ogura JD 317 clutches. Their designs are pretty much the same, except as Bob points out, the Warner has the hub pressed into the mounting and bearing housing to give one assembly. Good luck Etek, and we hope your clutch is functional after some clean-up. If not, hopefully Joe can provide a model number for an Ox clutch with a 7" pulley designed for a 1" crankshaft.
Harold

Automotive tire Cameras & optics Tire Audio equipment Wood

Automotive tire Tire Wood Rectangle Wall

Reactions: Etek

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
OK! So the Warner does have a second bearing in the coil mounting plate. That would eliminate the extra steps needed to assure an Ogura is centered to the crankshaft and rotor. The tabs on the back of the Ogura plate are supposed to help do it (on Kohler engines) as they locate in the seal bore of the engines. But it is imperative that the rotor does not touch any part of the coil housing O.D. or face. So the alignment procedure will need to be explained to Etek , unless he has a 317 service manual. It explained it well enough to teach me many moons ago. Hope he can save this one!

One must be more creative if transferring this Ogura clutch to a repower engine such as a Briggs Vanguard. The tabs on the back can cause expensive trouble.

I haven't looked recently, but JD used to sell the coil only for an Ogura if a new coil is all that's needed. I think it now costs more than a complete Ox clutch. Joe would know.

Thanks again, Bob and Harold for getting me up to date.

tommyhawk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
OK guys - finally pulled the clutch off and all I can think of is that when I originally gapped it I moved it just enough to break/short the coil wires and I guess it came apart in the subsequent days if cranking and troubleshooting. End story is I need an Ogura replacement. Anyone know the corresponding part number for Extreme? Thanks again for all the help and discussion. Once I get a new clutch Ill install show y'all whats up. Shoulda started on the last thing I did.....👍🙄😊
Tire Food Automotive tire Ingredient Plant

Bicycle part Wood Gas Automotive wheel system Rim
Wood Automotive tire Cable Gas Electrical wiring

Automotive tire Wood Gas Automotive wheel system Auto part

v Bicycle part Wood Gas Automotive wheel system Rim

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Who was it that mentiond the available field coil only?? I think I found it! According to an Ogura Distributor I called, these particualr Ogura's are JD-only units, no change-overs or replacements (which the 8TEN guy told me). so, the coil alone is likely the best fix.
Font Auto part Circle Metal Machine
Font Auto part Circle Metal Machine

·
Registered
1989 318
1,883 Posts
So the original coil was not 'potted at all? That is odd, I would expect all coils to be potted?

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
Etek,
The coil failure was not likely due to anything you did with gap adjustments. Insulation on the coil windings breaks down after a decade or so of use. Windings short out and the coil may literally give one big puff of smoke, or it may repeatedly trip the circuit breaker giving a burned or swelled appearance to the potting material. This one was pretty exceptional in burning away most all of the potting. The over-heating of the clutch you noted last summer was from the coil in the throes of death.
Harold

·
Registered
1989 318
1,883 Posts
I would think it would have given off a TON of smoke to burn off all the potting, that is crazy!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I never noticed any smoke at any point...but then I was a child of the 70s....so my senses are pretty dull....lol. one time long ago we where at the lake and an eagle swooped down and plucked a fish out of the water right in front of me. It was so close I still recall the feel and sound of the air off its wings....or can I??? 🤔🤔😉🤸‍♂️

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Anywho - last big question for the group - should I order the field winding as shown, or try a cheaper 3-hole complete clutch assy that mounts to the crank shaft only (with the anti spin arm attaching to block)?
Has anyone done that with this exact Kohler style block?
Again, thanks for all the help!! Hope to pay it forward some time.b

·
Premium Member
1,262 Posts
Etek,
Clean up the rotor and have a look at the rest of the clutch assembly. Are the flat springs intact and is the bearing smooth? The bearing is replaceable, but the overall condition of the clutch could influence your decision. I have no experience with the Ox/Extreme type clutch, but would be willing to give it a try if the price is right, and if there is a version with a 7" pulley for a 1" crankshaft. Hopefully Joe or another member will offer some more info. If you are a real do-it-yourselfer type, and are not buried in snow, there are threads here about rewinding the coil.
Harold

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
That diagram should help him install it properly. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I keep seeing a 3 bolt clutch and since I haven't had too many machines other than 317's, I'm wondering where? I quit messing with the Oguras and Warner clutches some time ago. Too expensive, too hard to maintain, too finicky. I purchased the last Xtreme for the 420 from of all places, Walmart for $99 bucks.

Here is a photo of an Ox Clutch mounted on a Kohler Magnum 18 which has the same block as the KT17 at least in relation to the PTO. The gold piece is the anti-rotation pin. Don't use that part number as the Magnum may have a different shaft size. View attachment 275214
View attachment 275211
Jetjoe/others....to clarify, THIS is a 3-hole clutch NOT bolted to the block, yes? The tab bolts to the block to stop it from rotating on tne shaft, yes? If thats the case, I should be able to use any clutch with the proper crank diameter, corr3ct? It would be about a THIRD of the field coil winding - and be a complete assy....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 · (Edited)
Etek,
Clean up the rotor and have a look at the rest of the clutch assembly. Are the flat springs intact and is the bearing smooth? The bearing is replaceable, but the overall condition of the clutch could influence your decision. I have no experience with the Ox/Extreme type clutch, but would be willing to give it a try if the price is right, and if there is a version with a 7" pulley for a 1" crankshaft. Hopefully Joe or another member will offer some more info. If you are a real do-it-yourselfer type, and are not buried in snow, there are threads here about rewinding the coil.
Harold
As above Im also willing to try, just trying to confirm its been done. Cannot rewind the coil as the Pot is burned up and pieces of wiring broke off in my hand during disassembly! 🤣

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
I explained what you need to know to install the new Ox or 8ten clutches previously. Verify your shaft size, Verify rotation (which can be confusing), and order a clutch with the closet sheave size. I'm very sure it requires a CCW rotation but give them a call. They will verify.

Follow the instructions. The only real issue is how the crankshaft is bushed to the clutch. You may need a few spacers the size of your crankshaft to properly locate the clutch on the shaft. The install instructions will aid you with that.

The anti-rotation pin can be mounted to anything that's rigid to the engine. But as the 317 is mounted on rubber mounts it should be to the engine. Any rigidly mounted engine such as a 318 could even be attached to the frame if that worked better. The pin just needs to be securely mounted so it fits into one of the two slots available. And it can be fabricated from almost anything such as a bolt into the engine case. (I think I posted photos previously)

Maybe the best thing for you to do is go to a repair shop and ask the mechanic to show you one. They can be found on just about any newer machine using an electric PTO. It's really a lot easier to look at it than explain it.

As for pricing? Shop around. As I mentioned I found one for my 420 for $99 bucks from Walmart online. (8ten) It fit like a glove and works perfectly. The others I have purchased usually run around $140.

Just to add, I took the time to write this again for the beneifit of others who may stumble oon this post. Likley for the fifth time on this and other sites.

Tom M, I kept it as short as possible. Just for you. (And that other guy) :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
"Just to add, I took the time to write this again for the beneifit of others who may stumble oon this post. Likley for the fifth time on this and other sites."
Guess thats partly what makes you a Premium Member - lol! But seriously, I appreciate the detail. Feeling pretty good about going this route now, as should others.

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
"Just to add, I took the time to write this again for the beneifit of others who may stumble oon this post. Likley for the fifth time on this and other sites."
Guess thats partly what makes you a Premium Member - lol! But seriously, I appreciate the detail. Feeling pretty good about going this route now, as should others.
NO, I'm premium because I sent them money.

Reactions: Etek and tommyhawk

·
Registered
1989 318
1,883 Posts
jetjoe - very nice write-up on PTO clutch replacement, it looks like that write-up has instilled confidence in etek that he can do the job! If I ever have to dig into PTO clutch replacement I know who to turn to. Tom

41 - 60 of 71 Posts