Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 317 has the Onan engine and it does not have a belly screen in place. I do not know if the Onan version has/had one or not. My engine flywheel does not have a screen either. The reason for my query: I am getting leaves, grass and whatnot building up inside the engine baffles and I want to mitigate this as much as I can. What can you all tell me? tku-Bill

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
Belly screen is M83901. PC says "Contact your Dealer" which translates to "You don't have enough money if we had one".

I have one but want to put it on my 317.

Flywheel screen is HE134-4553 ... "Contact your Dealer"

These parts are out there but don't show up that often. Belly screen you should be able to fabricate one. Flywheel screen ?

Reactions: jetjoe

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
I have to go out to the garage yet tonight. I know where it is hanging so can get you a photo.

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
I may have the flywheel screen. If it ever existed. I'll check tomorrow. Right now I'm back and forth as to if I will ever rebuild that engine or scrap it. If I forget, send me a PM tomorrow night.

Reactions: gabby_in_wis

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
First two photos are 317; notice the offset on the screen. It matches the frame. Third photo is a 318 screen.
Rectangle Font Wood Tints and shades Grille
Rectangle Wood Flooring Composite material Carbon
Brown Rectangle Wood Gas Font

Reactions: TempletonJDguy

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Interesting...pix illustrate the difference between closed frame and open framed machines. Did your free 316K come with a belly screen?
My 430 came with the screen, but was so nasty you couldn't tell it was screen. Fitted my 322 with a used 330 screen that I cleaned/modified a bit.
Rigid decorative metal screen from hardware store etc can be used to make your own.

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
Interesting...pix illustrate the difference between closed frame and open framed machines. Did your free 316K come with a belly screen?
My 430 came with the screen, but was so nasty you couldn't tell it was screen. Fitted my 322 with a used 330 screen that I cleaned/modified a bit.
Rigid decorative metal screen from hardware store etc can be used to make your own.
I've always thought those screens are more of a problem than a cure. Most have never been cleaned and when they get removed they usually get tossed anyway. Especially on the 317's that have little or no other place to get airflow. I've harped about that many times on these pages. I have had six 317's and have yet to lay my hands on one of those screens. I think perhaps the first 317 I purchased new likely had one but I never paid any attention. I gave that machine to my brother a couple of years after I purchased it.

Although I've never seen one, the 420 seems to have something like a solid plastic belly pan. But they also have a few thousand holes in the tower for air to get to the engine. Cleaner air than sucking it up off the mower deck area. As the OP has discovered.

I now have two full seasons of mowing since I modified my 317 tower by installing holes similar to the 318. No belly screen. And not much grass in the engine screen. The more time goes by, the more convinced I am that the KT engine issues were Deere's fault in that the engines overheated for this very reason. Sucking air from that area is just plain stupid. And that was validated by their changes in almost every model after the 317 having a cheesecake tower and access panels. MHO of course.

Here's a photo of the holes I added in the 317 tower. Perhaps FFR1910 should make this a winter project. It wouldn't be much harder than pulling the engine to install a flywheel screen.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Bumper

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
Now that I'm thinking about it, can anybody tell me just what the 420 belly screen/pan looks like? It's hard to tell on the parts page as it appears to be some sort of molding rather than a flat-screen. And it's called a "pan" vs screen.

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
I will have to have to dig a little bit but I should have the "pan" screen system for a 420. You are correct about it being "different".

It is my impression Deere did not start using screens until introduction of Onan engines thus the original 317 did not have a screen and it was not until the Onan was offered as a repair for failed KT17 Series I's that a screen was offered. Does anyone know if the 330 had a belly screen?

Reactions: jetjoe

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
I will have to have to dig a little bit but I should have the "pan" screen system for a 420. You are correct about it being "different".

It is my impression Deere did not start using screens until introduction of Onan engines thus the original 317 did not have a screen and it was not until the Onan was offered as a repair for failed KT17 Series I's that a screen was offered. Does anyone know if the 330 had a belly screen?
If you have one, (priced at something less than "contact dealer for pricing" prices), I might be interested. In the name of originality only. If it is what I think it is, one should take care of any oil leaks promptly.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
A little more information on the 317 belly screen.
  • 317 was manufactured from 1979-1983
  • Deere offered the Onan engine as a resolution to the KT17 Series I issue. It was a dealer installed kit. 317 w/Onan engine was never a factory installed option.
  • Screen (by PC 1698) was introduced at s/n 157101-. This would make it sometime in 1981 production year.
  • According to Tractordata ... "The early versions of the (KT17 Series I) suffered from poor lubrication of the connecting rod journals when operated on hill sides. An improved KT17 Series II engine was used starting at engine specification number 24300 in 1982."
Screen was introduced with Series II engines ... Not Onan engines. I don't know the history on the Onan engine fix. The screen could have been brought in with that package and then never left.

Joe, I have a 420 restoration in process also. That is why I have those parts.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
The used screen I purchased on the auction site, cleaned, modified and put on my 322 came off of a 330...but don't know what year. It has a solid, round cup/dimple on one side/corner that accommodates something on the diesel engines. My 430 screen however is different...smaller and all screen. Go figure.

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
A little more information on the 317 belly screen.
  • 317 was manufactured from 1979-1983
  • Deere offered the Onan engine as a resolution to the KT17 Series I issue. It was a dealer installed kit. 317 w/Onan engine was never a factory installed option.
  • Screen (by PC 1698) was introduced at s/n 157101-. This would make it sometime in 1981 production year.
  • According to Tractordata ... "The early versions of the (KT17 Series I) suffered from poor lubrication of the connecting rod journals when operated on hill sides. An improved KT17 Series II engine was used starting at engine specification number 24300 in 1982."
Screen was introduced with Series II engines ... Not Onan engines. I don't know the history on the Onan engine fix. The screen could have been brought in with that package and then never left.

Joe, I have a 420 restoration in process also. That is why I have those parts.
Thanks, Gabby. You're a treasure trove of info. That would explain why I've never seen a screen on all of those 317's. I can remember back then my nephew worked at the Deere dealer I bought the first machine from. I could have had a free Onan but passed as I hadn't had any issues with the tractor at that point. Nothing to do with Onan. So, no screen to be scene.

I'll stick with my cooling theory. It's as good as what's read in the internet. I still have one of those 317's up north with the hated series one. She takes a lickin and keeps on ticken. When the nasty works needs to be done, my son brings on the 317 and leaves his "X" series set close by to watch. No dragging logs with that tractor. :)

Reactions: gabby_in_wis

·
Registered
779 Posts
Now that I'm thinking about it, can anybody tell me just what the 420 belly screen/pan looks like? It's hard to tell on the parts page as it appears to be some sort of molding rather than a flat-screen. And it's called a "pan" vs screen.
The 420 and 430 have a black molded cover, no mesh. It has a reverse sump to clear the mower gearbox.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I have a screen in my shed with the half circle dimple on it. Thought it was from the 316 but now it looks like it was from the 420. I really should start tagging my parts. Hmm yeah I was recently commenting in a thread about those tags too.

Edit: Oh wait a sec, now after rereading the post I see the 420/430 screens are solid sheet metal not preferated breathable screen material. Ok back to knowing the screen is for the 316.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I have a screen in my shed with the half circle dimple on it. Thought it was from the 316 but now it looks like it was from the 420. I really should start tagging my parts. Hmm yeah I was recently commenting in a thread about those tags too.

Edit: Oh wait a sec, now after rereading the post I see the 420/430 screens are solid sheet metal not preferated breathable screen material. Ok back to knowing the screen is for the 316.
Sorry, I should have stated it is a PLASTIC molding.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts