Weekend Freedom Machines banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Here is the 420 belly screen/parts tray.
Table Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Gas
Tire Automotive tire Wood Bumper Tool
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Fender

Reactions: farmer52

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I see the plastic now. Thanks Gabby :)

The 330 screen was the solid sheet metal with half circle dimple in it. I'm batting 1 out of 3. :oops:

·
Premium Member
8,960 Posts
The 330 belly screen (M88933) has that dimple to clear the manual steering column, whereas the 322 and 332 screens (M72034) may not need it but still seem to have it in the illustrations... Not an expert here on this topic, but the 318 screen (M84964) does not need this "dome" while the 316 Onan with manual steering does (M86476). All illustrations in the various parts catalogs show the dome, however...

Pictures tell a much clearer story -- 318 screen on top, 316-O on the bottom.
Grille Rectangle Automotive exterior Wood Composite material

Audio equipment Gas Automotive lighting Rectangle Cameras & optics

Chuck

·
Registered
352 Posts
Gabby - good pictures of the 420 molded pan.
Joe, it mounts upside down from the way Gabby has it shown and the large recess is where the mower deck gear box is located. With the deck all the way up, the gear box can fit into the recess "sump" area like Doug mentioned. With the 420 belly pan in place, it basically seals off the portion of the bottom side of the tractor above the mower deck. Look under your frame for square holes on the underneath of the side rails. The layout of the square holes will give you the relative length/size footprint of the molded pan. Small plastic actors fit in those holes and then the deck pan is screwed into those plastic anchors - kind of like plastic wall anchors. Suction from the engine flywheel pulls clean and "cooler" air from the rear of the tractor, across the hydro, the hydro cooler and then into the engine. I think it's a good design compared to pulling air from right above the mower deck like on other models.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My 317 has the Onan engine and it does not have a belly screen in place. I do not know if the Onan version has/had one or not. My engine flywheel does not have a screen either. The reason for my query: I am getting leaves, grass and whatnot building up inside the engine baffles and I want to mitigate this as much as I can. What can you all tell me? tku-Bill
For some odd reason, the 317 I bought to restore had the belly screen. Koehler motor. I'm usually scrambling to find oddball parts. Good luck with your search!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts