Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying a 3 point hitch for my 318. I do not have a rear PTO on this tractor, so driven accessories are out. I'm thinking more along the lines of a box blade or angle blade. Was there ever any cat 0 blades made for a cat 0 hitch?

RichardS

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Hi Richard. Brinly made a rear blade.

This one is a model BB-1010 at 5' in width, there was also an older model BB-1000 which was also 5' wide. I think that there was also a 4' model. I have more pictures of this one mounted on my 140 at Brinly 3pt Back Blade Robb Kruger and Mark Krewson have box blades but I don't remember the widths or the companies that made them.

Kent

·
Banned
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry for not getting back on this, but after looking at what I have (318 without a rear PTO) I'm rethinking the 3 point hitch idea. I have spotted what looks like an ATV pull behind blade with either a manual pull or electric to raise and lower the blade.
And if I remember correctly, someone posted one similar to this but hydraulic operated, that was a homebuild. Just can't seem to find it in the archives.

No PTO limits what I can do with a 3 point, so for the same money or less (or even maybe more) I think i'd be better with the pull behind blade. Any one have any comments or other suggestions?

RichardS

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Hi Richard. Don't sell yourself short. A 3pt hitch is a very handy option. All of my 3pt accessories do not require a PTO (mostly because my first tractor having a 3pt was my 140, and a rear PTO with the 3pt was not an option). To give you an idea of other things beside a box blade or rear blade you can have a tandem disk

12" plow

Cultivator

By using a 3pt to sleeve hitch adapter you can use all your easier to find integral hitch/sleeve hitch style attachments

And, you can get fork lift forks to fit the adapter which is handy for moving attachments around

These are just examples of equipment I own, and there are plenty more that I don't. Personally, a 3pt was the first attachment I added to my "new to me" 318 last summer (right after putting on a set of rear bar tires
).

Kent

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I might as well show off my 318, although I don't have any "action" pictures. Here it is from my fall plow day line up with my Brinly PP-1200 12" plow (which a 318 pulls very nicely)

And a picture with my rear scoop attached

Kent

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Hi Pete. The ones in the 318 pictures and most of the 140 pictures are Titan (now Carlisle brand) Tru-Power tires (not to be confused with the Tru-Power AT tire, which has a different tread pattern), 23x10.50-12 size and 4 ply rating.

Kent

·
Banned
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the pictures Kent. we don't have a farm, but a two acre piece of manicured property, and the 318 gets used for mowing 90% of the time. The other 10% it's pulling a drag to keep the 1000' crushed stone drive in shape, or I'm using the Power Pak leaf collection unit to keep the property from drowning in leaves. We live surrounded by woods, and have many large (100'+) tall trees in the yard. I'm going to have to buy a tiller for the garden, so that rear implement for the tractor (need a PTO for it) won't happen. The rear blade for a 3 point would be the only other implement that I would have use for, and the cost of a 3 point plus the cost of the blade puts it almost out of reach at this time. The pull behind blade is far less expensive than the other two, and is within our budget. We get very little snow here and it's usually gone in few days, so no need for a blower or plow.
I'll keep in mind what you have shown me, and try to make a decision soon. Now, if there was a 3 point mounted, powered tiller.....

RichardS

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Hi Neil. The forks I have are reproductions of the original Brinly ones that Jim Buske (his sponser link is at the top of the page) used to make (not sure if he still has them or not). These mount on the Brinly A frame 3pt to sleevehitch adapter. I already had the A frame so all I needed were the forks and mounting brackets. Here is a couple of pictures of mine when I first got them and before I had painted them.

Kent

·
Banned
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow! It looks like some of you have a lot more time and talent than I do, I was a machinist at one stage of my career path, but never a good welder. Now using a torch set is different, that I AM good at. But torch welding would never hold long like a buzz box weld would.
Haven't given up on the 3 point, but still looking at all my options.

RichardS

·
Registered
382 Posts
Richard,

Here is a pic of my Worksaver 42" boxblade. It is a great three point "tool". Also, for general use, a set of those forks is about the best investment around. Use is for moving attachments, straw bales, firewood, anything.
I think there is a three point for sale in the classifieds right now.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Someone I know has a 455 that he says the deck won't raise and the 3pt hitch arms don't move either. He was asking what it could be. I only have working knowledge of the older machines. If I go over to help him out, what are the first obvious things to check on the 455? Note: he only mows grass with it, no snowblower, blade or other attachments - - I asked that first because I thought he may have locked something out in the winter.

·
Registered
182 Posts
First thing to check is to see if there is a valve in the line to the rockshaft cylinder which lifts both the deck and the 3 point. It should be at the back of the hydraulic connections under the left footrest. If there is one open it. It's necessary accessory on a 4X5 that is used with a loader or front blade.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.