Weekend Freedom Machines banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know how much longer 420 side panels are than this set for a 318?
Wood Grass Composite material Concrete Plastic

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
Army, I could measure the length of 420s against 317s. I think that would be very close. will that do it for you?

Reactions: army

·
Premium Member
4,594 Posts
$60 Army, saw them this morning

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
Anybody know how much longer 420 side panels are than this set for a 318?
View attachment 275395
The 420 side panels are 25" across the top, the 317s are 21 1/2". I think the 318s are the same, the only difference is the exhaust pipe hole and rear screens. I'm pretty sure I saw a converted 318 where the owner used an out the front exhaust then installed as 317 side cover to eliminate the unused hole. But maybe somebody else will measure the 318s to be sure.

But those work work well on your 420 for other reasons if that's where your going. A totally different mount system.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
420 is definitely longer and 318’s would be too short to fit on a 420.

Reactions: army and jd140

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Screw it I'm just gonna make some out of plywood. :D

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Joe (y)

I managed to put a 200 series side panel on a 317 by mistake. It was many moons ago when I first got into JD hydro GT's. Did a lot of cussing and wondering why they were so bloody hard to install. Had to modify the holes in the panel somewhat but I eventually got the right side on. It was such a PITA I started wondering if it was the wrong one. :rolleyes: :D

The 420 side panels are 25" across the top, the 317s are 21 1/2". I think the 318s are the same, the only difference is the exhaust pipe hole and rear screens. I'm pretty sure I saw a converted 318 where the owner used an out the front exhaust then installed as 317 side cover to eliminate the unused hole. But maybe somebody else will measure the 318s to be sure.

But those work work well on your 420 for other reasons if that's where your going. A totally different mount system.

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
Army, the 420 panels are worth getting. They are much easier to remove and install. Only one bolt as the panels lock into the front hood mount and the bottoms to the frame. The one bolt is right up by the battery box.

See, I can say something nice about these machines. :) I was thinking of starting a thread about what I liked about the 420 but haven't gotten around to it yet. I wanted to surprise everybody.

Reactions: chuckv

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
That's a good idea Joe. I started one after I bought my 420 comparing it to a 400 but I got distracted (surprise surprise) and it has since disappeared. I'm more familiar with them now so I should be able to contribute some info if you do a thread.

I was thinking of starting a thread about what I liked about the 420 but haven't gotten around to it yet. I wanted to surprise everybody.
I have side panels for my 420. They're damaged though. One has a couple dents. Could likely fix them but if I can score an affordable pair ready to prep and paint I'll replace it. The left panel is damaged in the front lower area of it. Came loose somehow and dropped down and the steering arm bolt mangled it. Didn't even know it happened till I was done mowing. Not something that I can likely repair. Would require a body guy.
Green Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Edit: not much time to correct a post before it gets flagged as edited is there.

I didn't explain my interest in the 318 panels very well. I would have been happy if somebody told me a 318 panel would fit a 420. Didn't have any serious expectations at all though. The reason I was actually looking at them was because I was thinking about getting the welder guy down the road to cut the damaged part off my 420 side panel and cut/mig that section from the 318 panel. Would likely cost more than just buying a good one and end up not looking right.

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
Well, I tried to say something nice about John Deere, and look what happened? Maybe they're not so much of an improvement as I thought. I can see that if the front hood support isn't adjusted properly, the bottom left side (in the photo) wouldn't engage the tabs of the side cover. Army, I'm not implying that you don't already know this.

For the benefit of others, I had a heck of a time the first time I put all of this together as the same condition existed. There are actually three adjustments that need to be made to attach the side covers properly. The four hood support bolts need to be tightened after the side panels are in place. Then rock the hood support so it lines up properly with the front edge of the side cover. Now if the hood hinge brackets have been loosened or removed, they need to be adjusted so the hood fits properly over the plastic dash panel. That was the hardest part as I had to reach up into the hood while closed to tighten those hinge bolts. Then, there is enough available movement in the speed nut where the one-side cover attachment bolt fastens.

I had that hood off numerous times since I first installed it, and now take it off with the hood support left attached. I still have to install the side panels to get them to fit properly but at least I don't have to mess with those hinge bolts.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I adjusted and tightened things up so the side panels can't come off (I hope). I can't really blame JD. My brother took everything off the front to pull the Vanguard engine and replace the coils. Don't think he tightened things up enough.

Well, I tried to say something nice about John Deere, and look what happened? Maybe they're not so much of an improvement as I thought.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts