Weekend Freedom Machines banner

318 Charging Lite

1K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Agrimm01 
#1 ·
I'm new here so bare with me.The charging light on my 1987 318 stays on all the time,used to be just periodically.Battery voltage is 15.3 volts.With stator disconnected there are no short to ground on either lead.Unless my meter is bad,there is also no a/c voltage from either lead and no voltage at the middle terminal of the regulator.If this is the case,what is keeping the battery charged?Tractor runs fine with no other issues. Confused!!

Discussion starter · #4 ·
Tom,miracle or something similar.(
).Actually the battery is 3yrs old,625 cc amp and has not been charged for at least two months.I cut just about every week.appx 2 1/2 hrs.It just keeps running.

Cliff,I tested both leads,one meter lead on each stator wire with the engine running and no voltage reading at all.Also,no voltage at center terminal of regulator.I'll put a new set of batteries in my meter and check again tomorrow.
Thanks to both for the reply.

Discussion starter · #6 ·
Chuck,thanks for the info.Have 38.9 A/C volts from stator.Have only 4.6 DC at the regulator with B+ wire disconnected and at full throttle.I guess I can "assume" the regulator is bad.
Bill O

Discussion starter · #9 ·
Steve,voltage at full throttle off the center terminal is 12.3 volts.Will go no higher.Do I assume it is the regulator as I have 38+AC volts from the stator.Also,the stator shows no grounds.Incidently,another gremlin has appeared.At idle to full throttle is has developed an intermittent miss for a lack of a better term.Not consistent but just seems to have a plug not fire sequently.Minor but annoying.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.